Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
University Physics with Modern Physics, Technology Update, Thirteenth Edition continues to set the benchmark for clarity and rigor combined with effective teaching and research-based innovation.
The Thirteenth Edition Technology Update contains QR codes throughout the textbook, enabling you to use your smartphone or tablet to instantly watch interactive videos about relevant demonstrations or problem-solving strategies.
University Physics is known for its uniquely broad, deep, and thoughtful set of worked examples—key tools for developing both physical understanding and problem-solving skills. The Thirteenth Edition revises all the Examples and Problem-solving Strategies to be more concise and direct while maintaining the Twelfth Edition's consistent, structured approach and strong focus on modeling as well as math. To help you tackle challenging as well as routine problems, the Thirteenth Edition adds Bridging Problems to each chapter, which pose a difficult, multiconcept problem and provide a skeleton solution guide in the form of questions and hints.
The text's rich problem sets—developed and refined over six decades—are upgraded to include larger numbers of problems that are biomedically oriented or require calculus. The problem-set revision is driven by detailed student-performance data gathered nationally through MasteringPhysics®, making it possible to fine-tune the reliability, effectiveness, and difficulty of individual problems.
Complementing the clear and accessible text, the figures use a simple graphic style that focuses on the physics. They also incorporate explanatory annotations–a technique demonstrated to enhance learning.
Table of Contents
1. Units, Physical Quantities, and Vectors
2. Motion Along a Straight Line
3. Motion in Two or Three Dimensions
4. Newton’s Laws of Motion
5. Applying Newton’s Laws
6. Work and Kinetic Energy
7. Potential Energy and Energy Conservation
8. Momentum, Impulse, and Collisions
9. Rotation of Rigid Bodies
10. Dynamics of Rotational Motion
11. Equilibrium and Elasticity
12. Fluid Mechanics
14. Periodic Motion
15. Mechanical Waves
16. Sound and Hearing
17. Temperature and Heat
18. Thermal Properties of Matter
19. The First Law of Thermodynamics
20. The Second Law of Thermodynamics
21. Electric Charge and Electric Field
22. Gauss’s Law
23. Electric Potential
24. Capacitance and Dielectrics
25. Current, Resistance, and Electromotive Force
26. Direct-Current Circuits
27. Magnetic Field and Magnetic Forces
28. Sources of Magnetic Field
29. Electromagnetic Induction
31. Alternating Current
32. Electromagnetic Waves
33. The Nature and Propagation of Light
34. Geometric Optics and Optical Instruments
38. Photons: Light Waves Behaving as Particles
39. Particles Behaving as Waves
40. Quantum Mechanics
41. Atomic Structure
42. Molecules and Condensed Matter
43. Nuclear Physics
44. Particle Physics and Cosmology