Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
LINDA MCCARTHY received her Ph.D. in Geography from the University of Minnesota, USA, and her B.A. from University College Dublin. She is an associate professor in the Department of Geography and the Urban Studies Program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She is also a certified planner. Her teaching centers on cities and globalization. Her research focuses on urban and regional economic development and planning in the United States, Europe, and China. Her recent academic journal articles have been on regional cooperation instead of wasteful competition for corporate investment; government subsidies for automobile plants; environmental justice and brownfield redevelopment; and the globalization of the economy. Linda is the co-author of another book, The Geography of the World Economy (Hodder), with Paul Knox and John Agnew.
Table of Contents
1. Urbanization and Urban Geography
II FOUNDATIONS AND HISTORY OF URBANIZATION
2. The Origins and Growth of Cities and Urban Life
3. Foundations: The U.S. Urban System and its Cities
4. Urban Systems and Cities in Transition
III URBANIZATION IN THE LESS DEVELOPED COUNTRIES
5. Urbanization in the Less Developed Countries
6. Urban Form and Land Use in the Less Developed Countries
7. Urban Problems and Responses in the Less Developed Countries
IV PROCESSES OF URBAN CHANGE
8. The Urban Development Process
9. How Neighborhoods Change
10. The Politics of Change: Urbanization and Urban Governance
11. Urban Policy and Planning
V PEOPLE AND PLACES
12. The Residential Kaleidoscope
13. The City as Text: Architecture and Urban Design
14. Urbanization, Urban Life, and Urban Spaces
15. Problems of Urbanization