Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Note: This is the bound book only and does not include access to the Enhanced Pearson eText. To order the Enhanced Pearson eText packaged with a bound book, use ISBN 0133831507.
Valuing Diversity in Early Childhood presents a social justice perspective on developing early childhood professionals’ cultural competence and ability to engage children in exploring and appreciating diversity. It couples essential foundational knowledge and definitions about diversity with clear applications for engaging in culturally responsive practices with children, families, and colleagues. New and experienced early childhood educators embark on a reflective journey to explore personal attitudes and values related to human diversity and culturally competent teaching, while learning to identify, explain, and use effective strategies for supporting and celebrating diverse children and families. The Enhanced Pearson eText features embedded video and internet resources.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
The Enhanced Pearson eText provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.*
- Affordable. The Enhanced Pearson eText may be purchased stand-alone or with a loose-leaf version of the text for 40-65% less than a print bound book.
*The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
Lissanna Follari has been a faculty in early childhood teacher education programs for 13 years and is currently Director for the Bachelors of Innovation in Inclusive Early Childhood Education with the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. She has written two textbooks with Pearson, Foundations and Best Practices in Early Childhood Education, 3rd edition, and Valuing Diversity in Early Childhood, 1st edition, both published in 2014. She began her career as a passionate educator for young children and families two decades ago and has taught toddlers through elementary school children. Along the way, Dr. Follari also served in child care and lab school administration roles, always promoting play-based, whole-child centered learning environments filled with wonder and beauty for children and teachers alike. She presents trainings and workshops at several regional and national conferences annually in addition to teaching and writing. Above all else, Dr. Follari is a dedicated advocate for joy and excellence in early childhood care and education; passions that are fueled by her most important role as a mother.
Table of Contents
Part I: Foundations and Frameworks
Chapter 1. The What, Why, and How of Exploring Diversity
Chapter 2. The Development of Cultural Identity
Chapter 3. The Spectrum of Responses to Diversity
Part II: Facets of Human Diversity
Chapter 4. Race and Ethnicity
Chapter 5. Language and Nationality
Chapter 6. Socioeconomic Factors
Chapter 8. Families
Chapter 9. Abilities
Part III: Bringing It All Together
Chapter 10. Supporting Individual Learners
Chapter 11. Teaching in a Diverse World