Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Pregnancy is an amazing time, full of wonder and excitement. But it can be worrying too. You know it’s down to you to eat and drink in a way that will keep your baby safe and provide the ideal fuel for growth and development. But for most of us it’s far from clear exactly what that means.
So what should you eat – and what should you avoid? What's healthy - and what's not? And if there is a risk involved with certain foods, what exactly is the risk and how big is it? What are the nutrients that a growing baby needs and what can you eat to provide them? Do you need to take supplements, and if so, which ones?
This handy, compact book is your saviour. It's the definitive healthy eating guide for pregnancy and provides an instant checklist as to what foods are safe and what you should steer clear of. This new edition has been fully revised and includes:
• A unique, updated A-Z of food and drink – the ultimate handy, quick reference
• Guidelines on alcohol and caffeine, with full explanation
• Advice for vegetarian mothers-to-be and those on special diets
• Tips on how to handle morning sickness
• How to achieve a healthy weight gain and how to lose it sensibly afterwards
• Latest research findings on what foods affect a baby’s development, including the most up-todate advice on allergy proofing your baby
• What you should and shouldn’t eat while breastfeeding
Expert nutritionist and pregnancy specialist Dr Rana Conway provides all the facts and everything you
need to know to give your baby the very best start in life.
Dr Rana Conway is a Registered Nutritionist (Public Health) and a member of the Nutrition Society. Over the past 20 years, she has established herself as an expert in nutrition for pregnancy and childhood. She has carried out nutrition research at leading universities, and gained a PhD in 1997 for her work with pregnant women.
Chapter 1 - Healthy Eating for Two
Chapter 2 – A Healthy Weight Gain
Chapter 3 – Low GI Eating
Chapter 4 – Food and Drinks to Avoid in Pregnancy
Chapter 5 – Nutrients - what they do and how much you need
Chapter 6 - Supplements – who needs what and why
Chapter 7 - Pregnancy Problems and How to Deal with Them
Chapter 8 – Special Diets
Chapter 9 - The A–Z of Foods and Ingredients
Chapter 10 - Breastfeeding – the best diet for you and your baby
Chapter 11 - Preparing for a New Pregnancy
Resources and Useful Contacts