From getting back to nature with a tent, some matches, and a few liters of bottled water, to enjoying a pub dinner and camping out in the garden afterwards, this book shows how to get hooked on wild camping in all its forms. Beautiful wildernesses; tiny budgets; environmentally-friendly . . . What’s not to like?
There’s an idea that wild camping is illegal in Britain, but it isn’t--you just need to know the rules and where to go. This guide will open up this amazing experience for all, covering:
- what is wild camping and why bother?
- different types (biviing, tenting, motorhoming, caravanning, on the water)
- what the law says (Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Ireland, EU, waterways)
- how landowners are actively encouraging wild camping in the UK (British Waterways, National Trust, Environment Agency, National Farmer’s Union, etc.)
- getting started (vital equipment, safety, where to go, when to go)
- drinking water and foraging for food
The bulk of the book (80 percent) features the best places to go in England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, along with stories and tips from experienced wild campers (how to make a fire, how to filter water) and simple recipes for foraged food. With helpful maps and inspiring photos, this guide will give readers the knowledge and the inspiration to escape the noise, clutter, and stress of day-to-day life and go wild.