Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Martin Halliwell is Professor of American Studies at the University of Leicester.
Joel D. S. Rasmussen is University Lecturer in Nineteenth-Century Christian Thought and Fellow of Mansfield College at the University of Oxford.
Table of Contents
Introduction: William James and the Transatlantic Conversation, Martin Halliwell and Joel D. S. Rasmussen
I: James's Intellectual Contexts
1. The Reception of William James in Continental Europe, Jaime Nubiola
2. William James, Ecumenical Protestantism, and the Dynamics of Secularization, David A. Hollinger
3. Religion, Sociology, and Psychology: William James and the Re-enchantment of the World, Richard H. King
4. William James, the French Tradition, and the Incomplete Transposition of the Spiritual into the Aesthetic, Barbara Loerzer
5. Vastations and Prosthetics: Henry James Sr. and the Transatlantic Education of William and Henry James, Peter Kuryla
6. Morbid and Positive Thinking: William James, Psychology, and Illness, Martin Halliwell
7. Encountering the Smashing Projectile: William James on John Stuart Mill and the Woman Question, Leslie Butler
II: The Philosophy of Pluralism
8. A Pluralistic Universe a Century Later: Rationality, Pluralism, and Religion, David C. Lamberth
9. William James, A Pluralistic Universe, and the Ancient Quarrel Between Philosophy and Poetry, Joel D. S. Rasmussen
10. James's Critique of Monistic Idealism in A Pluralistic Universe, Michael R. Slater
11. Jamesian Pragmatic Pluralism and the Problem of God, Sami Pihlstrom
12. Growing Up Zigzag: Reassessing the Transatlantic Legacy of William James, Jeremy Carrette