Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Need answers quickly? Windows 8.1 on Demand provides those answers in a visual step-by-step format. We will show you exactly what to do through lots of full color illustrations and easy-to-follow instructions.
Numbered Steps guide you through each task
See Also points you to related information in the book
Did You Know? alerts you to tips and techniques
Illustrations with matching steps
Tasks are presented on one or two pages
Inside the Book
- Master the Windows 8.1 user experience
- Manage files and information with the Desktop and Windows apps
- Share files and media on a SkyDrive, HomeGroup, or network
- Browse the Web, search for information, and get instant updates
- Use Windows apps to get news, finance, sports, travel, weather, food, and health from Bing
- Use Windows apps to work with mail, instant messages, calls, contacts, photos, music, videos, and games
- Get more apps using the Windows Store
- Protect your device from Internet or network intruders
- Set multiple users and parent controls
- Customize, fine-tune, and administer Windows 8.1
Bonus Online Content
Register your book at queondemand.com to gain access to:
Workshops and related files
Visit the author site: perspection.com
Steve Johnson has written more than 60 books on a variety of computer software, including Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe InDesign CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, Adobe Flash CS5, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010 and 2007, Microsoft Office 2008 for the Macintosh, and Apple OS X Mountain Lion. In 1991, after working for Apple Computer and Microsoft, Steve founded Perspection, Inc., which writes and produces software training. When he is not staying up late writing, he enjoys playing golf, gardening, and spending time with his wife, Holly, and three children, JP, Brett, and Hannah. Steve and his family live in Pleasanton, California, but can also be found visiting family all over the western United States.
Table of Contents
*From Previous Edition
1 Getting Started with Windows 8
2 Working with Windows Metro Apps
3 Managing Files and Folders in the Desktop
4 Exploring the Internet
5 Working with Contacts and Calendars
6 Exchanging Mail
7 Exchanging Instant Messages
8 Working with Photos and Pictures
9 Working with Windows Media
10 Working with Online Media
11 Working with Windows Accessories
12 Customizing Windows
13 Setting Up User Accounts and Maintaining Security
14 Managing Files Using a Network
15 Printing and Faxing
16 Maintaining Your Computer
17 Managing Hardware
18 Administering Your Computer
A Appendix: Installing Windows 8