Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
“Key Terms,” “Suggested Readings,” and “Notes” are included in each chapter.
I. WOMEN AND MEN: WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?
1. Studying Gender: An Overview.
Sociological Perspectives on Gender.
Feminism in Historical Perspective.
The Second Wave of Feminism.
The Perspective of This Text.
2. Biology, Sex, and Gender: The Interaction of Nature and Environment.
The Sex Chromosomes and Sexual Differentiation.
The Case for His and Hers Brains.
“My Hormones Made Me Do It.”
The Interaction of Biology and Culture.
3. Ancestors and Neighbors: Social Constructions of Gender at Other Times, in Other Places.
Bone and Stones: The Archeological Record.
Our Primate Relatives.
Women and Men Elsewhere: Are Western Constructions of Gender Universal?
Gender, Evolution, and Culture.
II. TEACHING US TO KNOW OUR RESPECTIVE PLACES.
4. Early Childhood Gender Socialization.
Growing Up Feminine or Masculine.
Early Peer Group Socialization.
By the Time a Child is Five.
5. Schools and Gender.
An Historical Overview of Women and Men in Education.
Educating Girls and Boys: The Elementary Schools.
Educating Teenage Girls and Boys: The Secondary Schools.
Educating Women and Men: Colleges and Graduate Schools.
Structuring More Positive Learning Environments.
Gender, Education, and Empowerment.
6. The Great Communicators: Language and the Media.
Sexism and Language: What's in a Word?
Gender and the Media.
Images of Gender in the Media: What are Their Effects?
Language and the Media as Shapers of Gender.
III. KEEPING US IN OUR RESPECTIVE PLACES.
7. Gender and Intimate Relationships.
Sociology Constructs the Family.
Evaluating the Functionalist Perspective of the Family.
Sexuality, Sexual Orientation, and Reproductive Freedom.
Varieties of Intimate Relationships.
Violence in Families and Intimate Relationships.
Families and Other Intimates: The Ideal and the Real Revisited.
8. Gender, Employment, and the Economy.
U.S. Working Women and Men in Historical Perspective.
Sex Segregation in the Workplace.
Consequences of Occupational Sex Segregation.
The Male/Female Earnings Gap.
The Work World: Ideology and the Role of Law.
The Intersection of Home and the Work World.
9. Gender, Crime, and Justice.
Women and Men as Offenders.
With Justice for All?
Criminal Victimization: Gender Power, and Violence.
Power, Crime, and Justice.
10. Gender, Politics, Government, and the Military.
The Gender Gap: Political Attitudes and Activities.
Gender and Public Office.
Women and Men in the Military.
The Politics of Gender.
11. Gender and Spirituality.
Gender and Religiosity.
Goddesses and Witches.
Traditional Religious Teachings on Gender.
Religion, Politics, and Social Change. @AHEADS = Challenges to Religious Patriarchy: Feminist Spirituality.
12. Gender and Health.
Gender and Mortality.
Sexism in Health Care.
Gender, Sport, and Fitness.
The Politics of Mental Health and Mental Illness Toward a Healthy Future.