A World of Fiction calls upon students' diverse language and critical thinking skills as they discover the pleasure and rewards of reading fiction. This expanded series (Level 1: Intermediate; Level 2: High Intermediate) is designed to help students sharpen their reading, vocabulary, grammar, and writing skills. Each level contains 16 unabridged stories.
- The stories are ideal for literary analysis, language practice, and lively cross-cultural discussion.
- Each level features selections by noteworthy authors – (Book 1) Raymond Carver, Dorothy
Parker, Tim O’Brien, and William Saroyan. (Book 2) James Joyce, Louise Erdrich, Woody Allen,
and Alan Paton.
- Reading selections guide students through understanding plots, exploring themes, analyzing styles,
making judgments and cross-cultural connections, and debating the issues that are explored.
- Extended Vocabulary in Context sections cover idioms, phrasal verbs, and other areas of
- Writing activities include both expository and creative assignments in which students are led to
incorporate the language skills featured in the chapter.
- Expanded Critical Thinking sections encourage students to analyze stories and connect them to their own experiences.