from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
With its thematic approach to building reading comprehension, the new World of Readingseries engages students in a wide variety of genres such as news articles, short stories, and textbook excerpts. Each unit is made up of four chapters with readings from many different disciplines, including science, social science, business, and literature. Based on the successful Building on Basics and Building Understanding books, the series has been expanded to cover low-intermediate to advanced students.
Features of World of Reading 1
- Adapted authentic readings help students learn language for use inside and outside the classroom.
- Previewing activities stimulate background knowledge and introduce essential vocabulary to prepare students for readings.
- Vocabulary checks, side-by-side with the readings, call out essential vocabulary in context and help accelerate fluent reading.
- Comprehension and vocabulary sections develop students’ ability to read authentic materials independently.
- Writing prompts offer opportunities for expression about the themes.
Table of Contents
|Communicating Across Cultures|
|Reading: Gestures: The Innocent Abroad's Shortlist|
|Reading: The Way to Cultural Sensitivity|
|Reading: It Finally Dawned on Me|
|The Human-Animal Bond|
|Reading: What Guide Dogs Do|
|Reading: Senior Partners - Older Americans and Adult Pets|
|Reading: A Global View of the Human-Animal Bond|
|Reading: A Secret for Two|
|Nutrition: Food For Health and Enjoyment|
|Reading: As the Junk-Food World Turns|
|Reading: The Healthy Eating Pyramid|
|Reading: Food Not as Fuel but as a Way of Life|
|Reading: "This Is Just to Say" and "Variation on a Theme by William Carlos Williams"|
|Making A Difference|
|Reading: People Who Have Made a Difference|
|Reading: Leaving It All to Chance|
|Reading: City Year: Give a Year. Change the World|
|Reading: The Message|
|Natural Disaters: Earthquakes An Tsunamis|
|Reading: Ask a Seismologist|
|Reading: How to Stay Safe during an Earthquake|
|Reading: It took centuries...|
|Overcoming The Odds|
|Reading: Beating the Odds-Finding Hope at Home|
|Reading: Grit, the Key to Success|
|Reading: What It Will Really Take to Close the Education Gap|
|Reading: Determined to Succeed|
|Map of North America|
|Map of the World|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|