Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
With its thematic approach to building reading comprehension, the new World of Reading series engages students in a wide variety of genres such as news articles, short stories, and textbook excerpts. Each unit is made up of four chapters with readings from many different disciplines, including science, social science, business, and literature. Based on the successful Building on Basics and Building Understanding books, the series has been expanded to cover low-intermediate to advanced students.
Features of World of Reading 3
- Authentic readings help students learn language for use inside and outside the classroom.
- Previewing activities stimulate background knowledge and introduce essential vocabulary to prepare students for readings.
- Vocabulary checks, side-by-side with the readings, call out essential vocabulary in context and help accelerate fluent reading.
- Comprehension and vocabulary sections develop students’ ability to read authentic materials independently.
- Writing prompts offer opportunities for expression about the themes.
Table of Contents
Scope and Sequence
Student’s Introductory Chapter
Unit 1 FRIENDSHIP
CHAPTER 1 READING: All Kinds of Friends
CHAPTER 2 READING: Online Friendships
CHAPTER 3 READING: How Do I Like Thee…
CHAPTER 4 READING: The First Day of School
Unit 2 PARENTS AND CHILDREN
CHAPTER 5 READING: Mother Was Really Somebody
CHAPTER 6 READING: The Problem of Fathers and Sons
CHAPTER 7 READING: Greener Grass
CHAPTER 8 READING: Love, Your Only Mother
Unit 3 STRESS
CHAPTER 9 READING: Plain Talk about Handling Stress
CHAPTER 10 READING: Energy Walks
CHAPTER 11 READINGS: Part 1: Stressed to Death
Part 2: Heartfelt Fear
CHAPTER 12 READING: The Dinner Party
Unit 4 CULTURES IN CONTACT
CHAPTER 13 READING: Culture
CHAPTER 14 READING: Touching
CHAPTER 15 READING: Change of Heart
CHAPTER 16 READING: Assembly Line
Unit 5 ETHICS
CHAPTER 17 READING: Treasure from Troy: An Introduction to Ethics
CHAPTER 18 READING: Why You Shouldn’t Do It
CHAPTER 19 READING: A Plea for the Chimps
CHAPTER 20 READING: The Wallet
Unit 6 THE ENVIRONMENT
CHAPTER 21 READING: Humans and Sustainability: An Overview
CHAPTER 22 READING: Islands of Green
CHAPTER 23 READINGS: Part 1: Think You Can Be a Meat-Eating
Environmentalist? Think Again!
Part 2: It’s a Plastic World
CHAPTER 24 READING: Prayer for the Great Family
Map of North America
Map of the World