Questions About This Book?
Building upon its already strong foundation, the third edition of World Religions: Eastern Traditions provides students with a thorough and in-depth survey of Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Chinese, Korean, and Japanese religions. Featuring work from renowned contributors, this rich and descriptive text discusses the historical basis for the religious traditions, shows how they have developed over time, and explains how they are now situated in the contemporary world.
New to this Edition:
- Full redesign featuring four-color throughout, 63 photos, and 5 maps
- An introductory chapter ("Why Religion?") that explores the origins of religion and some of the basic elements that traditions around the world share
- A concluding chapter ("Current Issues") examining how various traditions are responding to contemporary issues in such areas as politics, bioethics, gender, environment, and interfaith dialogue
- Four new contributors who provide fresh perspectives on Sikh, Jain, Japanese, and Chinese/Korean traditions
- Pedagogical features including "Traditions at a Glance" boxes, "Sites" boxes, recommended websites, and bolded key terms
- A Companion Website featuring resources for both students and instructors.
Ideal for courses in Asian religions and comparative religions, World Religions: Eastern Traditions, Third Edition, combines a historically descriptive perspective with a spirit of sympathetic fascination.
Roy C. Amore is a Professor in the Department of Political Science at the University of Windsor. He is currently working on a new text on religion and politics for OUP Canada.
The late Willard G. Oxtoby was a Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto, where he launched the graduate program in the study of religion.
Table of Contents
|List of Maps|
|List of Contributors|
|Chinese and Korean Traditions|
|Current Trends in Religion|
|Transliteration of South Asian Terms|
|East Asian Dynastic Eras and Transliteration of Chinese Terms|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|