Every now and again, the world takes notice of someone who has done something truly extraordinary. Whether that involves jumping from a balloon on the edge of the earth's atmosphere, trekking through the depths of the Antarctic winter, or sailing solo around the world, these exceptional feats of endurance and bravery capture the imaginations of individuals around the globe.
The World's Most Extreme Challenges explores how hard and how far some individuals are willing to push themselves for the sake of besting a physical challenge--some in professional races and most in acts of supreme physical endurance that few people can imagine, let alone conceive attempting. Providing an in-depth look at these events, profiling both the challenges and the individuals who take part in them, this is a celebration of what human beings can achieve when they push themselves to their limits.
Showcasing fifty of the hardest physical tests, including:
- Cycling around the world
- Jumping from outer space
- Running across Australia
- Surfing the world's biggest wave
- Swimming the Atlantic
- Trekking to the North Pole
- Holding your breath for twenty-two minutes (the new world record)
- Trekking across the Sahara
- Sailing the "wrong" way around the world (west to east)
- Running in the Iditarod Trail Alaskan dog sled race