The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Hundreds of thousands of parents have relied on this bestselling guide for practical, encouraging, science-based information about attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and its treatment. Distinguished researcher/clinician Russell A. Barkley helps parents make sense of their child's symptoms and work with school and health care professionals to get needed support. By following Dr. Barkley's eight-step behavior management plan specifically designed for 6- to 18-year-olds with ADHD, parents can boost the effectiveness of professional treatment, cultivate their child's strengths, and restore harmony at home. Updated throughout with new research and resources, the third edition includes the latest facts about medications and about what causes (and doesn't cause) ADHD. See also Dr. Barkley's bestselling Taking Charge of Adult ADHD.
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, a leading scientific authority on ADHD, is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. He is a recipient of awards from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association, among other honors. The author of numerous bestselling books for professionals and the public, including Taking Charge of Adult ADHD, Dr. Barkley lectures worldwide and makes frequent media appearances. He has worked with children and families for over 35 years, during which time he and his wife have raised two sons of their own. His website is www.russellbarkley.org.
Table of Contents
Introduction: A Guiding Philosophy for Parents of Children with ADHD
I. Understanding ADHD
1. What Is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?
2. \u201cWhat\u2019s Really Wrong with My Child?\u201d: Poor Self-Control
3. What Causes ADHD?
4. What to Expect: The Nature of the Disorder
5. The Family Context of a Child with ADHD
II. Taking Charge: How to Be a Successful Executive Parent
6. Deciding to Have Your Child Evaluated for ADHD
7. Preparing for the Evaluation
8. Coping with the Diagnosis of ADHD
9. Fourteen Guiding Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD
10. Just for Parents: How to Take Care of Yourself
III. Managing Life with ADHD: How to Cope at Home and at School
11. Eight Steps to Better Behavior
12. Taking Charge at Home: The Art of Problem Solving
13. How to Help Your Child with Peer Problems
14. Getting through Adolescence, with Arthur L. Robin, PhD
15. Off to School on the Right Foot: Managing Your Child\u2019s Education, with Linda J. Pfiffner, PhD
16. Enhancing Education at School and at Home: Methods for Success from Kindergarten through Grade 12, with Linda J. Pfiffner, PhD
17. Keeping School Performance in Perspective
IV. Medications for ADHD
18. The Approved Effective Medicines: Stimulants and Nonstimulants
19. Other Medicines: Antidepressants and Antihypertensives
Support Services for Parents
Suggested Reading and Videos