Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
As the cultural diversity of the United States continues to increase, the issues surrounding multiculturalism continue to be of great importance. With updates throughout and a fresh, new design, the Fourth Edition of American Ways retains its values-based perspective in examining what makes the U.S. unique -- and how traditional values influence various aspects of American life such as religion, business, government, race relations, education, recreation, and family.
- Includes enhanced focus on critical thinking, including assessing information, comparing alternative points of view, identifying potential problems and solutions, and being a questioning reader.
- Provides more explicit development of reading skills (skimming, scanning, predicting, and understanding main ideas and details).
- Features an expanded writing section (identifying and organizing academic information into main ideas and supporting details, often preceded by discussion, research, and completion of graphic organizers).
- Incorporates many new sources, poll data, and information on challenges such as rising national debt, gun violence, and immigration reform.
Table of Contents
1 Introduction: Understanding the Culture of the United State
2 Traditional American Values and Beliefs
3 The American Religious Heritage
4 The Frontier Heritage
5 The Heritage of Abundance
6 The World of American Business
7 Government and Politics in the United States
8 Ethnic and Racial Diversity in the United State
9 Education in the United States
10 How Americans Spend Their Leisure Time
11 The American Family
12 American Values at the Crossroads
Academic Word List