Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
This book is part of the Pearson Automotive Professional Technician Series, which provides full-color, media-integrated solutions for today’s students and instructors covering all eight areas of ASE certification, plus additional titles covering common courses. Peer reviewed for technical accuracy, the series and the books in it represent the future of automotive textbooks.
Automotive Electricity and Electronics fills the need for a text that covers the ASE/NATEF designated topic of Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems (A6). It is designed to be a two-semester text and covers the fundamental, as well as the advanced, electrical topics taught in all schools and colleges that teach automotive electricity and electronics.
Prepare tomorrow’s automotive professionals for success
Automotive Electricity and Electronics, 5/e, provides complete coverage of the parts, operation, design, and troubleshooting of automotive electricity and electronics systems, as well as the practical skills that readers must master to be successful in the industry. Real examples and full color images throughout the text offer readers a practical approach to the diagnosis and repair of the NATEF tasks for the Automotive Electricity/Electronic Systems (A6) content area. Formatted to appeal to today's technical trade students, Halderman uses helpful tips to bring concepts to life and guide readers through the procedures they'll use on the job.
All of the content is correlated to the latest NATEF tasks and ASE areas, and information on new OSHA hazardous chemical labeling requirements, three-legged and low profile fuses plus smart junction boxes, and immobilizer systems is included.
Jim Halderman brings a world of experience, knowledge, and talent to his work. His automotive service experience includes working as a flat-rate technician, a business owner, and a professor of automotive technology at a leading U.S. community college for more than 20 years.
He has a Bachelor of Science Degree from Ohio Northern University and a Master’s Degree in Education from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Jim also holds a U.S. Patent for an electronic transmission control device. He is an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician (A1-A8), plus A9, F1, G1, L1 and L3).
Jim is the author of many automotive textbooks, all published by Pearson Education.
He has presented numerous technical seminars to national audiences including the California Automotive Teachers (CAT) and the Illinois College Automotive Instructor Association (ICAIA). He is also a member and presenter at the North American Council of Automotive Teachers (NACAT). Jim was also named Regional Teacher of the Year by General Motors Corporation and an outstanding alumnus of Ohio Northern University.
Jim and his wife, Michelle, live in Dayton, Ohio. They have two children. You can reach Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Service Information, Tools, and Safety 1
2. Environmental and Hazardous Materials 40
3. Electrical Fundamentals 53
4. Electrical Circuits and Ohm’s Law 64
5. Series Circuits 72
6. Parallel Circuits 80
7. Series–Parallel Circuits 89
8. Circuit Testers and Digital Meters 97
9. Oscilloscopes and Graphing Multimeters 118
10. Automotive Wiring and Wire Repair 127
11. Wiring Schematics and Circuit Testing 143
12. Capacitance and Capacitors 163
13. Magnetism and Electromagnetism 170
14. Electronic Fundamentals 185
15. Computer Fundamentals 206
16. CAN and Network Communications 216
17. Batteries 235
18. Battery Testing and Service 245
19. Cranking System 261
20. Cranking System Diagnosis and Service 274
21. Charging System 290
22. Charging System Diagnosis and Service 304
23. Lighting and Signaling Circuits 326
24. Driver Information and Navigation Systems 353
25. Horn, Wiper, and Blower Motor Circuits 382
26. Accessory Circuits 397
27. Airbag and Pretensioner Circuits 434
28. Audio System Operation and Diagnosis 450
Appendix 1 Sample Electrical (A6) ASE-type Certification Test with Answers 469
Appendix 2 2013 NATEF Correlation Chart 473