Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
A practical guide to the clinical use of biofeedback, integrating powerful mindfulness techniques.
- A definitive desk reference for the use of peripheral biofeedback techniques in psychotherapeutic settings, backed by a wealth of clinical research
- Introduces mindfulness and acceptance techniques and shows how these methods can be incorporated into biofeedback practice
- Step-by-step instructions provide everything a clinician needs to integrate biofeedback and mindfulness including protocols, exemplar logs for tracking symptoms, and sample scripts for mindfulness exercises
- Includes scientifically robust treatment protocols for a range of common problems including headaches, hypertension and chronic pain
Inna Khazan is a Clinical Instructor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School, USA, where she teaches biofeedback. A clinical psychologist specializing in health psychology and biofeedback, Dr. Khazan also maintains a private practice in Boston, working with clients presenting with various psychophysiological disorders, using both biofeedback and mindfulness-based approaches to psychotherapy.
Table of Contents
List of Figures vii
List of Tables ix
Part I Foundations 1
1 Mindfulness and Acceptance Approach to Biofeedback 1
2 General Issues in Biofeedback 24
3 Biofeedback Equipment 29
Part II Assessment 33
4 Initial Evaluation 33
5 Psychophysiological Stress Profile 37
6 Psychophysiological Relaxation Profile 47
7 Evidence-Based Treatment Planning 57
Part III Biofeedback modalities 67
8 Breathing 67
9 Heart Rate Variability 97
10 Surface Electromyography 118
11 Temperature 157
12 Skin Conductance 165
Part IV Biofeedback application 172
13 Anxiety 172
14 Asthma 196
15 Migraine Headaches 204
16 Tension-Type Headache 215
17 Essential Hypertension 224
18 Irritable Bowel Syndrome 234
19 Raynaud’s Phenomenon 242
20 Temporomandibular Joint Disorders 250
21 Chronic Low Back Pain and Other Chronic Pain Disorders 261
22 Emerging Directions 276
Appendix I Meditation Scripts 285
Appendix II Client Logs 300