Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The most complete, up-to-date, and research-based guide to integrating Complementary and Alternative practices into nursing.
Now fully updated and reflecting extensive new research and evidence, Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Nursing Practice, Fourth Edition is today's most comprehensive overview of alternative health practices and complementary therapies from a nursing perspective. It begins by explaining philosophical approaches to both Western biomedicine and alternative or complementary medicine, introducing concepts such as energy, breath, spirituality, and healing. Next, it presents diverse systems of health care practice, including the values, attitudes, and beliefs that accompany them. Detailed sections thoroughly discuss botanical and manual healing, mind-body and spiritual approaches, and more. The appendix provides specific information on alternative therapies for many common health problems. This edition contains new evidence throughout, including significantly updated Considering the Evidence features presenting eight systematic reviews of randomized control trials, and two new primary research studies. Coverage updates include an expanded discussion of the use of music in therapy, including music-thanatology for palliative care.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This text will help nursing students assimilate thousands of years of healing knowledge from around the world, merging Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) approaches with Western-based nursing practices. It provides:
- Strong focus throughout on applying evidence and research in real-world nursing practice: Presents the latest evidence, including systematic reviews of randomized control trials and primary research; shows nurses how to evaluate that evidence and use it in practice
- Comprehensive coverage of virtually all areas of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM): Includes wide-ranging coverage of systematized practices such as traditional Chinese medicine, ayurvedic Medicine, Native American healing and curanderismo; as well as full sections on botanical healing, manual healing, mind-body techniques, spiritual therapies, and more
- Helps nurses use CAM both as part of an integrated nursing practice, and to improve their own lives and well-being: Offers specific guidance on integrating CAM with western medicine, using it in client education, and personally applying CAM practices to manage stress and other health concerns
Table of Contents
UNIT 1. Healing Practices: Complementary/Alternative Therapies for Nurses
1. Integrative Healing
2. Basic Concepts Guiding Alternative Therapies
3. The Role of Evidence-Based Health Care in Complementary and Alternative Therapies
UNIT 2. Systematized Health Care Practices
4. Traditional Chinese Medicine
5. Ayurvedic Medicine
6. Native American Healing and Curanderismo
UNIT 3. Botanical Healing
7. Herbs and Nutritional Supplements
UNIT 4. Manual Healing Methods
13. Pressure Point Therapies
14. Hand-Mediated Biofield Therapies
15. Combined Physical and Biofield Therapies
UNIT 5. Mind–Body Techniques
18. Hypnotherapy and Guided Imagery
21. Music as a Therapeutic Tool
23. Movement-Oriented Therapies
UNIT 6. Spiritual Therapies
25. Faith and Prayer
UNIT 7. Other Therapies
27. Animal-Assisted Therapy
Appendix. Alternative Therapies for Common Health Problems
TRY THIS SECTIONS
Top Ten Remedies
Experience Your Energy Field
Emotional First Aid
Redirecting the Flow of Energy
Renovating Your Day
Shrinking Antagonistic Forces
Improving Dream Recall
Music for Stress Reduction
Mind Control of Muscular Strength
Feel Your Qi
Wave Hands Like Clouds (Water T’ai Chi)
Absorbing Earth Energy
Going to the Mountains
Interacting with Your Pet