Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
--Intended for non-science majors Physics Courses
Conceptual Physics with MasteringPhysics® , Twelfth Edition Paul Hewitt integrates a compelling text and the most advanced media to make physics interesting, understandable, and relevant for non-science majors. The Twelfth Edition will delight you with informative and fun Hewitt-Drew-It screencasts, updated content, applications, and new learning activities in MasteringPhysics.
Hewitt’s text is guided by the principle of "concepts before calculations" is famous for engaging students with analogies and imagery from the real-world that build a strong conceptual understanding of physical principles ranging from classical mechanics to modern physics.
This program presents a better teaching and learning experience—for you.
- Personalize learning with MasteringPhysics: MasteringPhysics provides you with engaging experiences that coach you through physics with specific wrong-answer feedback, hints, and a huge variety of educationally effective content.
- Prepare for lecture: NEW! 100 Hewitt-Drew-It screencasts, authored and narrated by Paul Hewitt, explain physics concepts through animation and narration. The exciting new Screencasts, accessed through QR codes in the textbook, will enable you to engage with the physics concepts more actively outside of class.
- Make physics delightful: Relevant and accessible narrative, analogies from real-world situations, and simple representations of the underlying mathematical relationships make physics more appealing.
- Build a strong conceptual understanding of physics: You will gain a solid understanding of physics through practice and problem solving in the book and in MasteringPhysics.
0321908600 / 9780321908605 Conceptual Physics Plus MasteringPhysics with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321909100 / 9780321909107 Conceptual Physics
032190978X / 9780321909787 MasteringPhysics with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Conceptual Physics
Paul G. HewittFormer silver-medal boxing champion, sign painter, uranium prospector, and soldier, Paul began college at the age of 27, with the help of the GI Bill. He pioneered the conceptual approach to teaching physics at the City College of San Francisco. He has taught as a guest teacher at various middle schools and high schools, the University of California at both the Berkeley and Santa Cruz campuses, and the University of Hawaii at both the Manoa and Hilo campuses. He also taught for 20 years at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, which honored him with its Outstanding Educator Award in 2000. He is the author of Conceptual Physics and a co-author of Conceptual Physical Science and Conceptual Physical Science Explorations (with John Suchocki and Leslie Hewitt).
Table of Contents
1. About Science
2. Newton’s First Law of Motion: Inertia
3. Linear Motion
4. Newton’s Second Law of Motion: Force and Acceleration
5. Newton’s Third Law of Motion: Action and Reaction
8. Rotational Motion
10. Projectile and Satellite Motion
II. PROPERTIES OF MATTER
11. Atomic Nature of Matter
14. Gases and Plasmas
15. Temperature, Heat and Expansion
16. Heat Transfer
17. Change of Phase
19. Vibrations and Waves
21. Musical Sounds
V. ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM
23. Electric Current
25. Electromagnetic Induction
26. Properties of Light
28. Reflection and Refraction
29. Light Waves
30. Light Emission
31. Light Quanta
VII. ATOMIC AND NUCLEAR PHYSICS
32. The Atom and the Quantum
33. Atomic Nucleus and Radioactivity
34. Nuclear Fission and Fusion
35. Special Theory of Relativity
36. General Theory of Relativity
A. Systems of Measurement
B. More About Motion
D. More About Vectors
E. Exponential Growth and Doubling Time