- EASY-TO-FOLLOW LISTENING GUIDES are keyed to 99 track numbers, chorus-by-chorus, on the 76-minute Classics CD (ISBN 0-13-088792-7): 21 historic recordings by Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, and many more.
- The 72-minute Demonstration CD (ISBN 0-3-088694-7): 157 narrated illustrations of instruments and methods that jazz musicians use to make their music.
- The text is available at a discounted package price combined with the 2 accompanying CDs (ISBN 0-13-088981-4), or with just the Classics CD (ISBN 0-13-088970-9), or with just the Demonstration CD (ISBN 0-13-088979-2).
- Both CDs and a videocassette version of the Demonstration CD (Listening to Jazz by Steve Gryb; ISBN 0-13-532862-4) can be ordered by phoning 800-947-7700.
- 99 STUNNING PHOTOS of top musicians at work, with captions summarizing their contributions.
- ELEMENTS OF MUSIC APPENDIX offers an illustrated short course in the basics of music: rhythm, scales, blue notes, chord progressions, song forms, and tone color.
- ALBUM BUYING STRATEGIES APPENDIX gives handy pointers for quickly selecting and locating the best albums.
- APPENDIX FOR MUSICIANS has examples of modes, chord progressions, comping, and bass lines.