The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
A proven philosophy for teaching lifetime fitness and wellness...
“Health is available to Everyone for a Lifetime, and it’s Personal.”
The goal of Concepts of Physical Fitness: Active Lifestyles for Wellness--described in terms of the “HELP” philosophy stated above-—is to help all people make personal lifestyle changes that promote health, fitness, and wellness over a lifetime. Organized into concise concepts that make it easy for students to learn, Concepts of Physical Fitness is now integrated with online activities and assessments that enable students to apply the latest research on fitness and wellness to their own lives.
• New HELP activities encourage students to reflect, think critically, and apply the HELP philosophy to their lives.
• New icons link text to additional online features and resources, interactive quizzes, video activities, and study aids.
• Chapter-opening Health Goals reflect the priorities of Healthy People 2020, helping students link personal goals with national goals.
• In the News boxes inform students about current topics, trends, reports, and research findings, and Strategies for Action boxes provide practical tips for applying that information to their own lives.
• Detailed illustrations show students exactly how to perform strength training and flexibility exercises.
Connect is the only integrated learning system that empowers students by continuously adapting to deliver precisely what they need, when they need it, and how they need it, so that your class time is more engaging and effective.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Lifestyles for Health, Wellness, and Fitness
1: Health, Wellness, Fitness, and Healthy Lifestyles: An Introduction
2: Self-Management and Self-Planning Skills for Health Behavior Change
Section II: An Introduction to Physical Activity
3: Preparing for Physical Activity
4: The Health Benefits of Physical Activity
5: How Much Physical Activity Is Enough?
Section III: The Physical Activity Pyramid
6: Lifestyle Physical Activity: Being Active in Diverse Environments
7: Cardiovascular Fitness
8: Active Aerobics, Sports, and Recreational Activities
9: Flexibility and Stretching Exercises
10: Muscle Fitness and Resistance Exercises
Section IV: Physical Activity: Special Considerations
11: Body Mechanics: Posture, Questionable Exercises, and Care of the Back and Neck
12: Performance Benefits of Physical ActivitySection V: Nutrition and Body Composition
13: Body Composition
15: Managing Diet and Activity for Healthy Body Fatness
Section VI: Stress Management
16: Stress and Health
17: Stress Management, Relaxation, and Time Management
Section VII: Making Informed Choices
18: Recognizing Quackery: Becoming an Informed Consumer
19: Toward Optimal Health and Wellness: Planning for Healthy Lifestyle Change