The enhanced pedagogy, streamlined presentation, and integrated media of The Cosmic Perspective, Third Edition, makes it easier than ever for students to successfully navigate their way through introductory astronomy. Renowned for its up-to-date and expert coverage, this student-friendly text focuses on central ideas and unifying themes to provide a cosmic context. New chapter openers and end-of-chapter summaries expertly steer students through key concepts, helping them stay focused on core learning goals. The text's superior media package has been further enhanced to provide professors with superior in-class presentation tools and the ability to use and assign media activities out of class in creative ways they may not have previously considered. In particular, The Astronomy Place Website's highly acclaimed tutorials are now fully assignable with a built-in grading system, and a new Lecture Launcher CD-ROM puts a comprehensive library of in-class presentation applets, animations, and images in the palm of professors' hands. The Third Edition also features expanded coverage on seasons, the solar system, chronological history, and astrobiology. A reorganized table of contents makes the text even more cohesive and easy to use.
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
1. Our Place in the Universe.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
3. The Science of Astronomy.
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion.
6. Light: The Cosmic Messenger.
7. Telescopes: Portals of Discovery.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
8. Our Solar System: An Introduction and Overview.
9. Formation of the Solar System.
10. Planetary Geology: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
11. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
12. Jovian Planet Systems.
13. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
14. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE.
S2. Space and Time.
S3. Spacetime and Gravity.
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe.
V. STELLAR ALCHEMY.
15. Our Star.
17. Star Stuff.
18. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
19. Our Galaxy.
20. Galaxies: From Here to the Horizon.
21. Galaxy Evolution.
22. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe.
23. The Beginning of Time.
24. Life in the Universe.
Appendix A: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix B: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix C: Planetary Data.
Appendix D: Stellar Data.
Appendix E: Constants.
Appendix F: Key Equations.