Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
Table of Contents
* Critical Writing
Chapter 1: Language Evolution: Learning to Speak
· From Hand to Mouth, Michael C. Corballis
· Language and Thought, Susanne K. Langer
· Horton Heared A Who!, Steven Pinker
· Chunking, Ben Zimmer
· Another Language for the Deaf, Margalit Fox
· Visual: SignWriting (
Chapter 2: Coming into Language: Personal Recollections
· Homemade Education, Malcolm X
· A Word for Everything, Helen Keller
· Visual: Sign Language
· Spanish Lessons, Christine Marin
· The Language of Silence, Maxine Hong Kingston
Chapter 3: Say What? Language in Action
· Do You Speak American?, Robert MacNeil
· Everyone Has an Accent but Me, John Esling
· Good English and Bad, Bill Bryson
· Why Good English Is Good For You, John Simon
· The Like Virus, David Grambs
· Why the U.S. Needs an Official Language, Mauro E. Mujica
· Why a Global Language?, David Crystal
· Lost in America, Douglas McGray
Chapter 4: Language and Technology: Forging Connections
· In the Beginning Was the Word, Christine Rosen
· Texting, David Crystal
· Visual: If You Can’t Beat ‘Em . . . (cartoon)
· r u online?: The evolving lexicon of wired teens, Kris Axtman
· Three Tweets for the Web, Tyler Cowen
· I Tweet, Therefore I Am, Peggy Orenstein
Chapter 5: Language Differences: Please Understand Me!
· Women Talk Too Much, Janet Holmes
· What Language Barrier?, Deborah Cameron
· Oh, Mom. Oh, Honey, Deborah Tannen
· Nonverbal Behavior, Teri Kwal Gamble & Michael W. Gamble
· [Need piece on language anonymity conversation, and debate online]
· Small-Scale Communication, Jennifer Akin
· Some Friends and I Started Talking, Margaret J. Wheatley
Chapter 6: Language Sensitivity: Can We Speak Freely?
· Hate Speech, Robin Tolmach Lakoff
· Bias-Free Language: Some Guidelines, Rosalie Maggio
· Excerpt from Diane Ravitch
· The Word Police, Michiko Kakutani
· “Nigger”: The Meaning of a Word, Gloria Naylor
· · Hate Speech Cannot be Tolerated, Richard Delgado
· There is No Such Thing as Free Speech, Stanley Fish
Chapter 7: The Language Advertising: Words that Sell
· With These Words I Can Sell You Anything, William Lutz [
· The Language of Advertising, Charles A. O’Neill
· Be All That You Can Be: The Company
Persona and Language Alignment, Frank Lunt
· · Visual: Current Advertisements
Chapter 8: Language in Print
· Out of Print, Eric Alterman
· Is Print Dead?, J.A. Konrath
· Are We Reaching Da Youth?, Danny Schechter
· Will the Death of Newspapers Also Kill Our Freedoms?, Frank Watson
· Freedom of Speech and the Editorial Cartoon, Doug Marlette
Visual: Editorial Cartoons
· Piece on cursive writing
· Death of books—libraries with no books
Chapter 9: Political Wordplay
· How to Detect Propaganda, Institute for Propaganda Analysis
· Doubts About Doublespeak, William Lutz
· Politics and the English Language, George Orwell
· Fighting Words: The War over Language, Jon Hooten
· Poly-speak. Speechwriting. How to write a great speech.