Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Food, Nutrition and Health introduces students to the study of human nutrition, and is framed around the relationship between food consumption and health. It fosters understanding about nutrition science by building understanding of how nutrition knowledge is developed, how to search for new knowledge and how to evaluate and apply new information. These skills are particularly relevant for those students targeting a career where they will give dietary advice.
The text sees nutrition as predicated on a scientific knowledge base with specific applications to health within the context of the human life course. Its chapter organization and thoughtful pedagogical structure combine to equip students with the means to think more holistically about the relationships between nutrition science, and social and environmental issues.
Linda Tapsell, Professor, University of Wollongong
Linda Tapsell is a Professor in Nutrition and Dietetics at the University of Wollongong. With a strong initial grounding in healthcare practice, and health personnel education, her long academic career involves researching the effect of dietary intervention on lifestyle related disease. Professor Tapsell directs research centres on food, nutrition and health, and is Editor of the journal Nutrition and Dietetics. She routinely serves as an expert on national and international food and nutrition related committees and science advisory councils.
Professor Tapsell is Director, Food and Health/Smart Foods Centre; Editor, Nutrition and Dietetics; Chair, Scientific Program, International Congress Dietetics, Sydney 2012 and Director, Nutrition Research, Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute.
Table of Contents
PART 1 AN INTRODUCTION TO NUTRITION
1. Food and Health: A Biological Perspective.
2. Applying Nutrition Principles in the Lifecycle
3. Nutrition in a Social and Environmental Context: An Introduction
PART 2 FOOD AND HEALTH: A BIOLOGICAL PERPSECTIVE
4. Food: The Primary Source of Energy and Nutrients
5. Extending Knowledge on Food Components
6. Categorising Foods in Terms of Nutrient Content
7. Categorising Foods in Terms of Healthy Diets: Cuisines, Dietary Patterns and Dietary Guidelines
PART 3 APPLICATIONS OF NUTRITION THROUGHOUT THE HUMAN LIFECYCLE
8. Nutrition during the Lifecycle: Pregnancy and Lactation
9. Nutrition during the Lifecycle: Infancy and Childhood
10. Nutrition during the Lifecycle: The Prevention of Chronic Disease in Adulthood
11. Nutrition during the Lifecycle: Nutrition Needs of Older Adults
12. Dietary Assessment, Food Databases and Dietary Modelling
PART 4 FOOD AND NUTRITION POLICY AND PRACTICE
13. Food and Nutrition Policy and Frameworks
14. Locations of Nutrition Practice
15. Future Directions in Nutrition