Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Motivate Students to Get Fit and Stay Well For Life
Get Fit, Stay Well! gives students the targeted, personalized guidance they need to get started, keep motivated, and approach the next level in their own fitness & wellness.
The Third Edition provides dynamic media, content that activates learning, and personalized approaches to fitness and wellness that students can apply for life. Maintaining the highly praised hallmarks of previous editions–integrated case studies, three-pronged labs, a fresh graphical approach, and extensive strength training and flexibility photos and videos–this edition further engages students by including vibrant GetFitGraphic infographics to inspire thinking and discussion. QR codes in the book allow students to easily access exercise videos and fitness programs right on their smartphones. Instructors can track and assess student progress with the easy-to-use MasteringHealth.
Included with Get Fit, Stay Well!, MasteringHealth is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to help keep students on track and prepared for lecture.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program presents a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. Get Fit, Stay Well! Third Edition will:
- Personalize Learning with MasteringHealth: MasteringHealth coaches students through the toughest fitness and wellness topics. Engaging tools help students visualize, practice, and understand crucial content, from the basics of fitness to the fundamentals of behavior change.
- Engage Students with Dynamic Tools: Online resources and a mobile website for personal fitness and wellness programs guide students through every chapter and encourage healthy changes.
- Activate Learning with Real-world Fitness & Wellness Topics: A modern presentation of strength training as well as two new wellness programs brings fitness and wellness to life for students.
- Encourage Behavior Change: Labs, case studies, and new tips for making healthy changes help students learn what they need to do to become fit and well for life.
- Keep Students Motivated: New GetFitGraphics and reflection questions in the labs keep students on track.
Mastering is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
Janet L. Hopson is a full-time science writer who has written or co-authored nine books, including two popular nonfiction books on human pheromones and human brain development, and six textbooks on general biology for college and high school students. She teaches science writing at San Francisco State University and University of California Santa Cruz. She holds B.A. and M.A. degrees from Southern Illinois University and the University of Missouri. She has won awards for magazine writing, and her articles have appeared in Smithsonian, Psychology Today, Science Digest, Science News, Outside, and others.
Dr. Rebecca J. Donatelle is an Associate Professor of Health Promotion and Behavior Coordinator of the Public Health Promotion and Education Programs in the College of Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University. She has a Ph.D. in Community Health/Health Education, a Master of Science degree in Health Education, and a Bachelor of Science degree with majors in both Health/Physical Education and English. She is also a Certified Health Education Specialist. She teaches courses in Health Behaviors, Infectious Diseases, Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, and Violence and Public Health, and has taught thousands of students in health-related fields over the years. As a researcher and behavioral scientist with an emphasis on intervention science, much of her work has focused on women’s health and the health of elderly populations. Her research has been published in numerous journals, and she has been a guest speaker and presenter at professional conferences throughout the country. Dr. Donatelle is also the author of the highly successful introductory health textbooks Access to Health and Health: The Basics, published by Benjamin Cummings.
Dr. Tanya R. Littrell is a full-time faculty member in Fitness Technology and Physical Education at Portland Community College in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Littrell worked as a fitness director for many years before attending graduate school at Oregon State University, where she earned both a master’s degree in Human Performance/Exercise Physiology and a doctoral degree in Exercise Science/Exercise Physiology. Dr. Littrell has been teaching lifetime fitness classes for undergraduates since 1998.
Table of Contents
Chapter 2 Understanding Fitness Principles
Chapter 3 Conditioning Your Cardiorespiratory System
Chapter 4 Building Muscular Strength and Endurance
Chapter 5 Maintaining Flexibility and Back Health
Chapter 6 Understanding Body Composition
Chapter 7 Improving Your Nutrition
Chapter 8 Managing Your Weight
Chapter 9 Managing Stress
Chapter 10 Reducing Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Chapter 11 Reducing Your Risk of Diabetes and Other Chronic Diseases
Chapter 12 Reducing Your Risk of Cancer
Chapter 13 Avoiding Substance Use, Abuse, and Addiction
Chapter 14 Reducing Your Risk of Sexually Transmitted Infections
Chapter 15 Maintaining Lifelong Fitness and Wellness