Reviewing the state of the science in a dynamic, thriving field, this influential handbook integrates knowledge from multiple psychological subdisciplines. Foremost experts address the neurobiological and cognitive bases of emotion regulation and examine how individuals develop and use regulatory strategies across the lifespan. The social context of emotion regulation is explored, as are personality processes and individual differences. Critical implications are discussed for psychopathology, psychosocial interventions, and health. Including helpful cross-referencing among chapters, the volume describes cutting-edge methods and identifies promising directions for future investigation.
New to This Edition
*Incorporates significant scientific advances and many new topics.
*Greatly expanded coverage of clinical issues and applications.
*Chapters on neural systems, delay of gratification, decision making, and health.
*Chapters on adolescence, social baseline theory, and desire regulation, plus more.
James J. Gross, PhD, is Professor of Psychology at Stanford University and Director of the Stanford Psychophysiology Laboratory. A leading researcher in the areas of emotion and emotion regulation, he is a recipient of early career awards from the American Psychological Association (APA), the Western Psychological Association, and the Society for Psychophysiological Research, and is a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science and the APA. Dr. Gross also has won numerous awards for his teaching, including the Dean's Award for Distinguished Teaching, the Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Prize, the Stanford Postdoctoral Mentoring Award, and the Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching. He is a Bass University Fellow in Undergraduate Education and the Director of the Stanford Psychology One Teaching Program. Dr. Gross has published more than 250 articles, book chapters, and books.
1. Emotion Regulation: Conceptual and Empirical Foundations, James J. Gross
II. Biological Bases
2. The Neural Bases of Emotion and Emotion Regulation: A Valuation Perspective, Kevin N. Ochsner and James J. Gross
3. Temporal Dynamics of Emotion Regulation, Greg Hajcak, Jonathan P. Dunning, Daniel Foti, and Anna Weinberg
4. The Neural Basis of Emotion Dysregulation, Tom Johnstone and Henrik Walter
5. A Neurobiological Model of Implicit and Explicit Emotion Regulation, Anett Gyurak and Amit Etkin
III. Cognitive Approaches
6. Delay Discounting: A Two-Systems Perspective, Eric M. Miller, Christian Rodriguez, Bokyung Kim, and Samuel M. McClure
7. The Role of Emotion and Emotion Regulation in the Ability to Delay Gratification, Anna Luerssen and Ozlem Ayduk
8. Emotion Regulation Choice: Theory and Findings, Gal Sheppes
9. Emotion Regulation and Decision Making, Alessandro Grecucci and Alan G. Sanfey
IV. Developmental Considerations
10. Self-Regulation, Effortful Control, and Their Socioemotional Correlates, Nancy Eisenberg, Claire Hofer, Michael J. Sulik, and Tracy L. Spinrad
11. Socialization of Emotion and Emotion Regulation in the Family, Ross A. Thompson
12. Emotion Regulation in Adolescence, Michaela Riediger and Kathrin Klipker
13. Emotion Regulation and Aging, Susan Turk Charles and Laura L. Carstensen
V. Social Aspects
14. Social Baseline Theory and the Social Regulation of Emotion, James A. Coan and Erin L. Maresh
15. Adult Attachment and Emotion Regulation, Phillip R. Shaver and Mario Mikulincer
16. Attitudes, Evaluation, and Emotion Regulation, Christopher R. Jones, Tabitha Kirkland, and William A. Cunningham
17. Emotion Regulation in Couples, Robert W. Levenson, Claudia M. Haase, Lian Bloch, Sarah R. Holley, and Benjamin H. Seider
18. The Cultural Regulation of Emotions, Batja Mesquita, Jozefien de Leersnyder, and Dustin Albert
VI. Personality Processes and Individual Differences
19. Temperament and Emotion Regulation, Mary K. Rothbart, Brad E. Sheese, and Michael I. Posner
20. Three Approaches to Individual Differences in Affect Regulation: Conceptualization, Measures, and Findings, Oliver P. John and Joshua Eng
21. Desire and Desire Regulation: Basic Processes and Individual Differences, Wilhelm Hofmann and Hiroki Kotabe
22. Emotion Goals: How Their Content, Structure, and Operation Shape Emotion Regulation, Iris B. Mauss and Maya Tamir
23. Self-Awareness and Self-Relevant Thought in the Experience and Regulation of Emotion, Mark R. Leary and Dina Gohar
24. Emotion Regulation in Anxiety Disorders, Laura Campbell-Sills, Kristen Ellard, and David H. Barlow
25. Emotion Regulation in Mood Disorders, Jutta Joormann and Matthias Siemer
26. Emotion Regulation in Substance Use Disorders, Hedy Kober
27. A Psychological Construction Account of Emotion Regulation and Dysregulation: The Role of Situated Conceptualizations, Lisa Feldman Barrett, Christine D. Wilson-Mendenhall, and Lawrence W. Barsalou
28. Emotion Regulation Therapy, Douglas S. Mennin and David M. Fresco
29. Dialectical Behavior Therapy: An Intervention for Emotion Dysregulation, Andrada D. Neacsiu, Martin Bohus, and Marsha M. Linehan
30. Regulation of Emotion through Modification of Attention, Colin MacLeod and Ben Grafton
31. Affect Regulation Training, Matthias Berking and Jeanine Schwarz
32. Mindfulness Interventions and Emotion Regulation, Norman A. S. Farb, Adam K. Anderson, Julie A. Irving, and Zindel V. Segal
IX. Health Implications
33. Emotion Regulation and Gene Expression, Steven W. Cole
34. Early-Life Socioeconomic Status, Emotion Regulation, and the Biological Mechanisms of Disease across the Lifespan, Edith Chen and Gregory E. Miller
35. Emotion Regulation and Cardiovascular Disease Risk, Allison A. Appleton and Laura D. Kubzansky
36. Emotion and Self-Regulation Failure, Dylan D. Wagner and Todd F. Heatherton