Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Sudha Pai is Rector and Professor, Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Table of Contents
List of Tables and Figures
List of Abbreviations
Introduction, Sudha Pai
PART I: REGIONS AND REGIONALISM: HISTORICAL LEGACIES AND PRESENT-DAY DEMANDS
1. Indian Civilization and Regional Cultures: The Two Realities, Ainslie T. Embree
2. States Reorganization Commission: A Critical Reading, Asha Sarangi
3. Integration through Internal Reorganization: Containing Ethnic Conflict in India, Maya Chadda
4. The Continuing Struggle for India's Jharkhand: Democracy, Decentralization, and the Politics of Names and Numbers, Stuart Corbridge
5. Divided We Stand: Identity and Protest in the Demand for a Separate Hill State of Uttaranchal, Emma E. Mawdsley
PART II: POLITICAL PARTIES AND ELECTORAL POLITICS IN THE STATES
6. The Congress Party in Uttar Pradesh: Dominance, Decline, and Revival? Sudha Pai
7. Coalition Strategies and the BJP's Expansion, 1989-2004, E. Sridharan
8. A Shift towards Regionalization of Indian Politics, Sanjay Kumar
9. From Dominance to Disarray: The Telugu Desam Party in Andhra Pradesh, K.C. Suri
10. The Changing Nature of Tamil Nadu, John Harriss and Andrew Wyatt
11. Asom Gana Parishad: Rise and Prospects, Sandhya Goswami
12. Left in the Lurch: The Demise of the World's Longest Elected Regime? Dwaipayan Bhattacharyya
PART III: SOCIAL MOVEMENTS AND POLITICS IN THE STATES
13. Decline of Backward Caste Politics in Northern India: From Caste-Politics to Caste-Politics, Anil Kumar Verma
14. Dalit Assertion in Tamil Nadu, M.S.S. Pandian
15. A Beggar's Song of Democracy: A Study of Invisible Dalits, Badri Narayan
16. The Bahujan Samaj Party: Its Shifting Strategies of Subaltern Mobilization in Uttar Pradesh, Sohini Guha
17. Small States in Large Democracy: Ethnic Minorities in a Majoritarian Indian Polity, Sajal Nag
PART IV: ECONOMIC REFORMS AND STATE POLITICS: CHANGING PATTERNS
18. Iconization of Chandrababu: Sharing Sovereignty in India's Federal Market Economy, Lloyd I. Rudolph and Susanne Hoeber Rudolph
19. Globalization and State Disparities in India, Baldev Raj Nayar
20. Unravelling Bihar's 'Growth Miracle', Chirashree Das Gupta
21. State Capitalism: Provincial Governance, Private Enterprise, and Protest Politics in India's Special Economic Zones, Rob Jenkins
22. Hype, Skill, and Class: The Politics of Reforms in Andhra Pradesh, 1995-2004 and Beyond, Jos Mooij
Epilogue, Dwaipayan Bhattacharyya
Notes on Contributors