Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Rosaria Munson is Professor of Classics at Swarthmore College where she has been teaching since 1990.
Table of Contents
Antecedents, Sources, Credibility, and Historie
1. The Place of Herodotus in the History of Historiography, Arnaldo Momigliano
2. Herodotus and His Contemporaries, Robert L. Fowler
Herodotus and Oral Tradition
3. The stories before the Histories: Folktale and Traditional Narrative in Herodotus, Nino Luraghi
4. Oral Tradition in Herodotus, J. A. S. Evans
5. Herodotus and Delphic Traditions about Croesus, Harriet Flower
Causation, Patterning, and the Meaning of History
6. Aspects of Historical Causation in Herodotus, Henry Immerwahr
7. Herodotean Historiographical Patterning: the Constitutional Debate, Donald Lateiner
8. Herodotean Kings and Historical Inquiry, Matthew R. Christ
9. Narratological Aspects of the Histories of Herodotus, Irene F. D. De Jong
The Uses of History
10. Herodotus and Periclean Athens, Hermann Strasburger
11. Herodotus Perspective, Charles W. Fornara
12. Herodotus and the Athenian Arche, Philip A. Stadter
Look at his End
13. Protesilaos and the End of Herodotus Histories, Deborah Boedeker
14. Wanton Kings, Pickled Heroes, and Gnomic Founding Fathers: Strategies of Meaning at the End of Herodotus' Histories, Carolyn Dewald
Bibliography of Works Cited