Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The guide to understanding and applying food science in the bakeshop-now in a revised and updated 3rd Edition
The essence of baking is chemistry, and anyone who wants to be a master pastry chef must understand the principles and science that make baking work. This book explains the whys and hows of every chemical reaction, essential ingredient, and technique, revealing the complex mysteries of bread loaves, pastries, and everything in between. Among other additions, How Baking Works, Third Edition includes an all-new chapter on baking for health and wellness, with detailed information on using whole grains, allergy-free baking, and reducing salt, sugar, and fat in a variety of baked goods. This detailed and informative guide features:
- An introduction to the major ingredient groups, including sweeteners, fats, milk, and leavening agents, and how each affects finished baked goods
- Practical exercises and experiments that vividly illustrate how different ingredients function
- Photographs and illustrations that show the science of baking at work
- End-of-chapter discussion and review questions that reinforce key concepts and test learning
For both practicing and future bakers and pastry chefs, How Baking Works, Third Edition offers an unrivaled hands-on learning experience.
How Baking Works, 3rd Edition thoroughly covers the entire baking process, emphasizing the "whys" at work behind basic techniques. The book takes the user through the major ingredient groups, explaining how sweeteners, fats, milk, leavening agents, and other ingredients affect the appearance, flavor, and texture of the end product. The information covered in each chapter are essential knowledge for everyone, whether an experienced bake or someone who is just getting started.
The coverage also includes scaling and measurements, heat transfer, and sensory properties in baking. Includes hands-on exercises and experiments at the end of each chapter to illustrate the sensory properties of ingredients and their impact on baked goods Covers variety grains, enzymes, starch structure and gelatinization, and gluten structure, and includes an all-new chapter on baking for health and wellness
Features end-of-chapter questions that review content and require readers to apply and synthesize what they've learned .This book is more like a text book with the questions at the end of each chapter and experiments to try.
With explanatory photographs to illustrate the science of baking, How Baking Works, 3rd Edition offers a dynamic, hands-on learning experience for both practicing and future bakers and pastry chefs.
Paula Figoni is a food scientist and associate professor at the International Baking and Pastry Institute in the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. She has more than ten years of experience in product development and food science at The Pillsbury Company and Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.
Table of Contents
|Introduction to Baking|
|Overview of the Baking Process|
|Sensory Properties of Food|
|Variety Grains and Flours|
|Sugar and Other Sweeteners|
|Fats, Oils, and Emulsifiers|
|Eggs and Egg Products|
|Thickening and Gelling Agents|
|Milk and Milk Products|
|Nuts and Seeds|
|Cocoa and Chocolate Products|
|Fruit and Fruit Products|
|Natural and Artificial Flavorings|
|Baking for Health and Wellness|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|