Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Dr. Michael D. Johnson earned his B.S. degree in Zoology from Washington State University and then moved East to earn a Ph.D. in physiology from the University of Michigan. After completing a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Harvard Medical School he joined the faculty of West Virginia University, where he remained for most of his career.
From 2001 to 2006 Dr. Johnson resided in the Sultanate of Oman, where he served as Founding Dean of a new medical school being built in academic partnership with West Virginia University. Following a brief period back home at West Virginia University, in 2008 he moved to Qatar to take the position of Associate Dean for Premedical Education at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. He returned to the United States in 2011 to concentrate on writing and on researching topics of interest in Human Biology.
Dr. Johnson received several teaching awards during his career, including the West Virginia University Foundation Outstanding Teacher award and the Distinguished Teacher Award of the School of Medicine. He is a member of the American Physiological Society, the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, the National Association of Biology Teachers, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
1. Human Biology, Science, and Society
2. The Chemistry of Living Things
3. Structure and Function of Cells
4. From Cells to Organ Systems
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
8. Heart and Blood Vessels
9. The Immune System and Mechanisms of Defense
10. The Respiratory System: Exchange of Gases
11. The Nervous System: Integration and Control
12. Sensory Mechanisms
13. The Endocrine System
14. The Digestive System and Nutrition
15. The Urinary System
16. Reproductive Systems
17. Cell Reproduction and Differentiation
18. Cancer: Uncontrolled Cell Division and Differentiation
19. Genetics and Inheritance
20. DNA Technology and Genetic Engineering
21. Development and Aging
22. Evolution and the Origins of Life
23. Ecosystems and Populations
24. Human Impacts, Biodiversity, and Environmental Issues