Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Written and edited by experts in the field, this collection from Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine provides a comprehensive review of the biology and diseases of fungal pathogens. Contributors examine their life cycles, nutritional and metabolic requirements, and morphological characteristics, as well as their interactions with humans-their modes of dissemination and penetration, the mechanisms they use to evade the immune system, and their effects on target organs. Specific chapters are devoted to the major disease-causing fungi, such as Candida, Aspergillus, and Cryptococcus species. The ecology, evolution, and epidemiology of human fungal pathogens are also explored.
This volume includes discussions about options for diagnosing and treating fungal infections, as well as challenges presented by emerging drug-resistant strains. It is therefore an essential reference for all fungal biologists and medical professionals who wish to understand and manage these difficult pathogens.
Table of Contents
Introduction and General Principles and Evolution of Fungal Pathogens
1. The spectrum of fungi that infect humans
2. Evolutionary perspectives on human fungal pathogens
3. Sexual cycles, life cycles, and fungal disease
4. Genetics and genomics of human fungal pathogens
5. Fungal ploidy and parasexual cycles
Host immunity and fungal infection
6. Adaptive Immunity in defense against fungal pathogens
7. Innate immunity in defense against fungal pathogens
8. Genetics of human susceptibility to fungal infection
9. Interactions of fungal pathogens with immune cells in the lung
Microbial virulence mechanisms
10. Fungal biofilms, drug resistance and recurrent infection
11. Fungal survival and replication in macrophages
12. Morphogenesis in fungal pathogens
13. Mechanisms of fungal tissue invasion and persistence in tissue
14. Metabolism in fungal pathogenesis
15. Fungal diagnostics
16. Antifungal drug development
17. Fungal Vaccines and immunotherapeutics
18. Antifungal Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics
19. Principles of Management of Yeasts and Mould Infections
20. Antifungal Clinical Trials and Guidelines: What we know and don't know
21. Mechanisms of fungal drug resistance
22. Cryptococcus neoformans and Cryptococcus gattii
23. Candida pathogenic species complex
24. Aspergillus fumigatus and related pathogenic species
25. Dimorphic human fungal pathogens
26. Fungi on the skin: Dermatophytes and Malassezia
27. Human fungal pathogens of Mucorales and Entomophthorales
28. Black molds and other uncommon human fungal pathogens
30. The Fungal Mycobiome