from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
David Loewenstein is Helen C. White Professor of English and the Humanities at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, USA. His books include Representing Revolution in Milton and his Contemporaries: Religion, Politics, and Polemics in Radical Puritanism (2001), which received the Milton Society of America’s James Holly Hanford Award for Distinguished Book. He is the author of Treacherous Faith: The Specter of Heresy in Early Modern English Literature and Culture (2013). He has co-edited The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature (2002), Early Modern Nationalism and Milton’s England (2008), and The Complete Works of Gerrard Winstanley (2009). He is an Honored Scholar of the Milton Society of America.
Table of Contents
Note on This Edition and Abbreviations viii
List of Illustrations x
MILTON'S PROSE TEXTS
1. Prolusions: 1
Prolusion VI 3
Prolusion VII 13
2. Of Reformation 22
3. The Reason of Church-Government Urg'd against Prelaty (selections) 61
4. An Apology Against a Pamphlet (selections) 92
5. The Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce 103
6. Of Education 170
7. Areopagitica; A Speech of Mr. John Milton 181
8. Tetrachordon (selections) 214
9. The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates 243
10. Eikonoklastes (selections) 275
11. A Second Defence of the English People 319
12. A Treatise of Civil Power in Ecclesiastical Causes 377
13. Considerations Touching the Likeliest Means to Remove Hirelings out of the Church 398
14. The Readie and Easie Way to Establish a Free Commonwealth 426
15. Of True Religion, Hæresie, Schism, and Toleration 448
16. Selections from Milton's Private Letters 459
17. De Doctrina Christiana (selections) 470
18. The Life of Mr. John Milton by Edward Phillips 558
Select Bibliography 573