Only two copies
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
“The acquisition of language is essential to children's cognitive and social development.” From the NAEYC position statement, November 1995.
Readers of this book will receive a solid foundation for understanding language development from birth to age eight. The text supplies a basic overview of phonetics, semantic, syntactic, morphemic, and pragmatic aspects of language knowledge, while also providing practical suggestions for interactions with children and templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development. The appendices provide supplementary information on additional readings. The new edition has been extensively revised with coverage of the latest research and hot topics in the field such as:
New To This Edition:
- Updates the section on the role of brain maturation in language development--Provides awareness of the connections between physical, cognitive, and language development.
- Describes the techniques used by researchers to discover the perceptual abilities of infants to distinguish speech sounds and patterns of intonation—This helps students understand the complexities of research with very young children.
- Provides templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development in the assessments chapter—This shows practical ways for teachers to begin to systematically observe individual children’s language development.
- Includes guidelines and strategies for interacting with English language learners at each developmental level, providing practical ways in which teachers can enhance language development among ELLs.
- Reviews current research on autism and its connection to early language development.
Beverly Otto, Ph.D., an early childhood educator for over 25 years, is a professor in the Teacher Education Department at Northeastern Illinois University. She earned her doctorate at Northwestern University in Teaching and Learning Processes with a focus on emergent literacy. Dr. Otto teaches courses in language and literacy development for preservice and in-service teachers, along with research for classroom teachers. She also serves as advisor for the MAT: Language Arts-Elementary Education and MSI: Language Arts-Elementary programs. Her major professional goal is preparing teachers to support children’s life-long learning through language and literacy development. Dr. Otto has also served as department chair as well as associate dean in the College of Education.
Dr. Otto is the author of Literacy Development in Early Childhood: Reflective Teaching for Birth to Age Eight , (© 2008 Pearson)and has also authored articles published in international, national and state professional journals. Her field-based research on emergent literacy has been presented at international, national, state, and local conferences. She has served as a consultant to early childhood centers, school districts, as well as the Illinois State Board of Education.
Table of Contents
|Language in Our Lives|
|Theoretical Perspectives and Contexts of Language Development|
|Language Development Among Children of Linguistic Diversity|
|Language Development of Infants and Toddlers|
|Enhancing Language Development in Infants and Toddlers|
|Language Development in Preschoolers|
|Enhancing Language Development in Preschoolers|
|Language Development in Kindergartners|
|Enhancing the Language Development of Kindergartners|
|Language Development in the Primary Years|
|Enhancing Language Development in the Primary Years|
|Language Assessment: Observing, Screening, Diagnosing and Documenting|
|Enhancing Language Development Among Children with Communicative Disorders|
|Fostering Language Development Through School-Home Connections|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|