Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Taking a functional approach, Language Disorders, 6/e focuses on children's language problems from a holistic perspective. Unlike other language disorders books, it moves logically from assessment through intervention emphasizing universal techniques that work for all delays and disorders. With over 1200 new references, it provides a strong theoretical background and emphasizes evidence-based practices. This edition includes a new chapter on early communication intervention, more on language analysis, coverage of Specific Language Impairment, and more on augmentative and alternative communication.
Robert E. Owens, Jr. Ph.D. (“Dr. Bob”) is an Associate Professor at the College of St. Rose in Albany, NY and a New York State Distinguished Teaching Professor. He teaches courses in language development and language disorders and is the author of several books including the following Pearson texts:
- Language Development, An Introduction (8 editions)
- Language Disorders, A Functional Approach (6 editions)
- Communication Disorders: A Life Span Perspective (4 editions)
His Language Development text is the most widely used in the world and has been translated into Spanish, Korean, and Arabic. He has also co-authored Introduction to Communication Disorders, A Life Span Perspective (4 editions), which has been translated into Mandarin, and written a score of book chapters and professional articles. Currently, he is authoring a text on early intervention. Dr. Bob has presented over 180 professional papers and workshops around the globe. His professional interests are language disorders in infants, toddlers, and preschoolers who are also some of his best friends.
Table of Contents
- A Functional Language Approach
- Language Impairments
- Early Communication Intervention
- Assessment of Preschool and School-Age Children with Language Impairment
- Assessment of Preschool and School-Age Children with Language Difference
- Language Sampling
- Language Analysis
- Narrative Analysis
- A Functional Intervention Model
- Manipulating Context
- Specific Intervention Techniques
- Classroom Functional Intervention
- Literacy Impairments: Language in a Visual Mode
APPENDIX A: CONSIDERATIONS FOR CLD CHILDREN
APPENDIX B: LANGUAGE ANALYSIS METHODS
APPENDIX C: SELECTED ENGLISH MORPHOLOGICAL PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES
APPENDIX D: INDIRECT ELICITATION TECHNIQUES
APPENDIX E: INTERVENTION ACTIVITIES AND LANGUAGE TARGETS
APPENDIX F: USE OF CHILDREN'S LITERATURE IN PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS