Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Current Research and Real World Application.
Updated in its second edition, Life Span Development: A Topical Approach maintains the student friendliness that has been the hallmark of Feldman’s development texts. Rich in examples, it illustrates the applications that can be derived from the research and theory of lifespan developmentalists. The text takes a modular approach providing both readers and instructors with maximum flexibility.
MyPsychLab is an integral part of the Feldman program. Key learning applications include, MyDevelopmentLab video series, MyVirtualLife, and MyVirtualChild.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning – MyPsychLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Improve Critical Thinking – “Review and Apply” sections consist of short recaps of the chapters’ main points, followed by questions designed to provoke critical thinking.
- Engage Students – At the beginning of each chapter are Chapter Opening Prologues, a short vignette, describing an individual or situation that is relevant to the basic developmental issues being addressed in the chapter.
- Explore Research – “From Research to Practice” boxes describe current developmental research or research issues applied to everyday problems.
- Support Instructors – All supplements were developed around the textbook’s carefully constructed learning objectives.
Note: MyDevelopmentLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MyDevelopmentLab, please visit: www.mydevelopmentlab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + NEW MyDevelopmentLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205946461 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205946464.
Professor Feldman, who initiated the Minority Mentoring Program at the University of Massachusetts, also has served as a Hewlett Teaching Fellow and Senior Online Teaching Fellow. He initiated distance learning courses in psychology at the University of Massachusetts
A Fellow of both the American Psychological Association and the Association for Psychological Science, Professor Feldman received a B.A. with High Honors from Wesleyan University and an M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is a winner of a Fulbright Senior Research Scholar and Lecturer award, and he has written more than 100 books, book chapters, and scientific articles. He has edited Development of Nonverbal Behavior in Children (Springer-Verlag), Applications of Nonverbal Behavioral Theory and Research (Erlbaum), and co-edited Fundamentals of Nonverbal Behavior (Cambridge University Press). He is also author of Child Development, Understanding Psychology, and P.O.W.E.R. Learning: Strategies for Success in College and Life. His books have been translated into a number of languages, including Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Chinese, and Japanese. His research interests include honesty and deception in everyday life and the use of nonverbal behavior in impression management, and his research has been supported by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health and the National Institute on Disabilities and Rehabilitation Research.Professor Feldman loves music, is an enthusiastic pianist, and enjoys cooking and traveling. He has three children, and he and his wife, a psychologist, live in Amherst, Massachusetts, in a home overlooking the Holyoke mountain range.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents
Chapter 1 An Orientation to Lifespan Development
Chapter 2 Genetics, Prenatal Development, and Birth
Chapter 3 Physical Growth and Aging Across the Life Span
Chapter 4 Health and Wellness
Chapter 5 Cognitive Growth: Piaget and Vygotsky
Chapter 6 Cognitive Growth: Information Processing Approaches
Chapter 7 Language Development
Chapter 8 Intelligence
Chapter 9 Social and Emotional Development
Chapter 10 Development of the Self
Chapter 11 Moral Development and Aggression
Chapter 12 Gender and Sexuality
Chapter 13 Friends and Family
Chapter 14 Schooling, Culture, and Society: Living in a Multicultural World
Chapter 15 Death and Dying