from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 SOCIOLOGY: Home and the Homeless
Reading One Home and Travel
Reading Two Homeless
Reading Three Helping and Hating the Homeless
Chapter 2 HISTORY: Robber Barons Then and Now
Reading One The Robber Barons
Reading Two The Politics of Progressivism
Reading Three Message to Wall Street
Chapter 3 FILM STUDIES: Is Cinema an Art or Business?
Reading One One Hundred Years of Cinema
Reading Two A Conversation with Leo Tolstoy on Film
Reading Three An Interview with James Cameron
Chapter 4 MEDIA STUDIES: The Internet and Social Media
Reading One Mind Control and the Internet
Reading Two The Positive Effects of Social Networking Sites
Reading Three The Use of Social Media in the Arab Spring
Chapter 5 NEUROSCIENCE: The Brain and Memory
Reading One In Search of Memory
Reading Two The Brain and Human Memory
Reading Three Music and the Brain
Chapter 6 ZOOLOGY: Animals and Language
Reading One Bridges to Human Language
Reading Two Speaking to the Relatives
Reading Three Language and Morality
Chapter 7 POLITICAL SCIENCE: The Rulers and the Ruled
Reading One The Morals of the Prince
Reading Two The Declaration of Independence
Reading Three Two Cheers for Democracy
Chapter 8 PSYCHOLOGY: Aggression and Violence
Reading One Civilization and Its Discontents
Reading Two Reflections on Natural History
Reading Three A Neuroscientist Uncovers a Dark Secret
Chapter 9 ETHICS: Resistence to Evil in the 20th Century
Reading One The Ghosts of Mrs. Gandhi
Reading Two Denmark in World War II
Reading Three Three Ways to Meet Oppression
Chapter 10 WOMEN’S STUDIES: Reaching for Equality
Reading One The Declaration of Sentiments (1848)
Reading Two Speech on Women’s Rights (1888)
Reading Three The Day the Women Got the Vote