Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The proven guide to learning medical vocabulary–now offering even more opportunities to learn, practice, and connect up-to-date vocabulary with real healthcare clients and careers.
This comprehensive, proven text offers a logical, simple system for learning medical vocabulary primarily by building terms from word parts. Medical Terminology for Health Care Professionals, 8/e first introduces medical terminology and its essential suffixes and prefixes; then guides students logically through each key body system, working from the outside in, and from simple systems to complex. Additional specialty chapters cover oncology, radiology/nuclear medicine, and more; this edition's mental health chapter is fully revised for DSM-5, published May 2013. Every chapter is built around a color-coded word list showing how word parts are built, pronounced, and defined. Most pages also contain vibrant images, including anatomically precise drawings, authentic medical photos, and engaging labeling activities. Updated throughout, this Eighth Edition’s new features include: Combining Forms tables with meanings; streamlined and improved discussions of anatomy; Rule Reminders; integrated Study and Review Exercise sections throughout each system chapter; new case study vignettes; Practical Application Exercises using modern EHR records; and many new images.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This text will help health professionals quickly master the modern terminology of healthcare, and master techniques for decoding any new term, in any area of healthcare, throughout their careers. Its key differentiators include:
- Intuitive "word parts" approach to building medical vocabulary: A step-by-step approach proven to build both mastery and confidence in students with a wide range of backgrounds and goals
- Innovative pedagogy, including extensive opportunities to deepen understanding through practice (both print and online): Provides everything from EHR-based application exercises to pronunciation guides and Spanish-language translators
- Broad coverage that goes far beyond many medical terminology books: Includes coverage of topics ranging from cancer to mental illness, anatomy and physiology to lifespan considerations, thereby preparing students to enter a wider spectrum of careers
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Medical Terminology
4. Organization of the Body
5. Integumentary System
6. Skeletal System
7. Muscular System
8. Digestive System
9. Cardiovascular System
10. Blood and Lymphatic System
11. Respiratory System
12. Urinary System
13. Endocrine System
14. Nervous System
15. Special Senses: The Ear
16. Special Senses: The Eye
17. Female Reproductive System with an Overview of Obstetrics
18. Male Reproductive System
20. Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
21. Mental Health
Appendix II. Glossary of Word Parts
Appendix III. Abbreviations and Symbols
Appendix IV. Laboratory Reference Values