Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Prefatory note to the Second Impression
PART ONE: PROBLEMS AND EXECUTIONS
1. What is Literature
2. George Orwell's 'A Hanging', and 'Michael Lake Describes'
3. Oscar Wilde: 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol'
4. What is Realism?
5. Arnold Bennett: The Old Wives' Tale
6. William Burroughs: The Naked Lunch
7. The Realistic Tradition
8. Two Kinds of Modern Fiction
9. Crticism and Realism
10. The Novel and the Nouvelle Crtique
11. Conclusion to Part One
PART TWO: Metaphor and Metonymy
1. Jackobson's Theory
2. Two Types of Aphasia
3. The Metaphoric and Metonymic Poles
4. Drama and Film
5. Poetry, Prose and the Poetic
6. Types of Description
7. The Executions Revisited
8. The Metonymic Text as Metaphor
9. Metaphor and Context
PART THREE: MODERNISTS, ANTIMODERNISTS AND POSTMODERNIST
1. James Joyce
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Ernest Hemingway
4. D.H. Lawrence
5. Virginia Woolf
6. In the Thirties
7. Philip Larkin
8. Postmodernist Fiction
Appendix A: 'A Hanging' by George Orwell
Appendix B: 'Michael Lake Describes What the Executioner Actually Faces'
Appendix C: Extract from The Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
Notes and References