More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the Reprint edition with a publication date of 2/1/2014.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Brian Davies is Professor of Philosophy at Fordham University.
Eleonore Stump is Robert J. Henle Professor of Philosophy at Saint Louis University.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
Introduction, Brian Davies and Eleonore Stump
Part I - Historical Background
1. Life and Works, Jean-Pierre Torrell, O.P.
2. Aquinas and Aristotle, James Doig
3. Augustine to Aquinas (Latin-Christian Authors), Alexander Fidora
4. Aquinas, Plato, and Neo-Platonism, Wayne J. Hankey
5. Aquinas and Jewish and Islamic Authors, David B. Burrell, C.S.C.
Part II - Metaphysics and the Existence of God
6. Being, John F. Wippel
7. Matter, Form, and Individuation, Jeffrey E. Brower
8. Causation, Michael Rota
9. The Five Ways, Timothy Pawl
Part III - The Divine Nature
10. God's Simplicity, Eleonore Stump
11. God's Goodness, Ludger Honnefelder
12. God's Knowledge and Will, James Brent, O.P.
13. God's Impassibility, Immutability, and Eternality, Brian Leftow
14. God's Omnipotence, Brian Leftow
Part IV - Ethics and Action Theory
15. Human Freedom and Agency, Thomas Williams
16. Emotions, Peter King
17. Happiness, Brian Davies
18. Law and Natural Law, Michael Baur
19. Conscience and Synderesis, Tobias Hoffman
20. Virtues and Vices, Jean Porter
21. Practical Reasoning, Thomas M. Osborne, Jr.
22. The Theological Virtues, Joseph Wawrykow
Part V - Epistemology and Philosophy of Mind
23. Human Knowledge, Martin Pickavé
24. Intellectual Virtues, Tobias Hoffman
25. The Relation of Reason to Faith, Bruno Niederbacher, S.J.
26. Philosophy of Mind and Human Nature, Robert Pasnau
Part VI - Theory of Language
27. Theory of Language, Gyula Klima
28. The Limits of Language and the Notion of Analogy, Brian Davies
Part VII - Philosophical Theology
29. Providence and the Problem of Evil, Eleonore Stump
30. The Trinity, Gilles Emery
31. Incarnation, Michael Gorman
32. The Saving Work of Christ, Rik Van Nieuwenhove
33. Sacraments, Dominic Holtz, O.P.
34. Resurrection and the Separated Soul, Eleonore Stump
35. Prayer, Brian Davies
36. The Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit, Andrew Pinsent
Part VIII - Aquinas's Intellectual Progress and the Influence of his Thinking
37. The Development of Aquinas's Thought, Giorgio Pini
38. The Influence of Aquinas, Christopher Upham
Chronological List of Aquinas's Writings
Editions and Translations