Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Keith Allan is Emeritus Professor of Linguistics at Monash University. His books include Linguistic Meaning (two volumes, Routledge 1986), Natural Language Semantics (Blackwell, 2001), and The Western Classical Tradition in Linguistics, Second edition (Equinox, 2010). He is co-author with Kate Burridge of Euphemism and Dysphemism (OUP, 1991) and Forbidden Words (CUP, 2006) and co-editor with K. M. Jaszczolt of the Cambridge Handbook of Pragmatics (CUP, 2012).
Table of Contents
1. The Origins and the Evolution of Language, Salikoko S. Mufwene
2. The History of Writing as a History of Linguistics, Peter T. Daniels
3. History of the Study of Gesture, Adam Kendon
4. The History of Sign Language Linguistics, Bencie Woll
5. Orthography and the Early History of Phonetics, Michael K. C. MacMahon
6. From IPA to PRAAT and Beyond, Deborah Loakes
7. Nineteenth Century Study of Sound Change From Rask to Saussure, Kate Burridge
8. Discoverers of the Phoneme, harry van der Hulst
9. A History of Sound Symbolism, Magaret Magnus
10. East Asian Linguistics, Karen Steffen Chung
11. Linguistics in India, Peter M. Scharf
12. From Semitic to Afro-Asiatic, Edward Lipinski
13. From Plato to Priscian: Philosophy's legacy to grammar, Catherine Atherton and David Blank
14. Pedagogical Grammars Before the Eighteenth Century, Anneli Luhtala
15. Vernaculars and the Idea of a Standard Language, Andrew Linn
16. Word-based Morphology From Aristotle to Modern WP, James P. Blevins
17. General or Universal Grammar From Plato to Chomsky, Jaap Maat
18. American Descriptivism ('structuralism'), James P. Blevins
19. Noam Chomsky's Contribution to Linguistics: a sketch, Robert Freidin
20. European Linguistics Since Saussure, Giorgio Graffi
21. Functional and Cognitive Grammars, Anna Siewierska
22. Lexicography From Earliest Times to the Present, Patrick Hanks
23. The Logico-philosophical Tradition, Pieter A. M. Seuren
24. Lexical Semantics From Speculative Etymology to Structuralist Semantics, Dirk Geeraerts
25. Post-structuralist and Cognitive Approaches to Meaning, Dirk Geeraerts
26. A Brief Sketch of teh Historic Developments of Pragmatics, jacob L. Mey
27. Meaning in Texts and Contexts, Linda R. Waugh and Jose Aldemar Alvarez Valencia, with Tom Hong Do, Kristen Michelson, and M'Balia Thomas
28. Comparative, Historical, and Typological Linguistics Since the Eighteenth Century, Kurt R. Jankowsky
29. Language, Culture, and Society, Ana Deumert
30. Language, The Mind, and The Brain, Alan Garnham
31. Translation: the intertranslatability of languages; translation and language teaching, Kirsten Malmkjaer
32. Computational Linguistics, Graeme Hirst
33. The History of Corpus Linguistics, Tony McEnery and Andrew hardie
34. Philosophy of Linguistics, Esa Itkonen