Helping Your Child Succeed in Third Grade: A Parent’s Guide to the Common Core
Schools across America are rolling out new, more rigorous curricula in order to meet the demands created by a new set of English and Mathematics standards – known nationally as the Common Core State Learning Standards, or Common Core. You can expect to see a number of changes in your child’s third grade class based on the requirements of the Common Core standards.
In an effort to address Common Core Reading requirements, students will now read more Informational Texts in their English/Language Arts assignments. This type of passage provides facts and often deals with current events, science, and social studies. In addition, questions posed about these readings will ask students to find evidence and use it to formulate an argument. In order to master new Common Core Language Arts and Literacy standards, students will need a larger and stronger vocabulary to allow them to both tackle complex readings and write acceptable arguments.
To address Common Core Math requirements, students will spend more time developing their understanding of specific and important math concepts. Students will be expected to both demonstrate understanding of each topic and apply their mathematical skills to real-world situations.
As a parent, it is important not only to understand the new Common Core 3rd grade standards, but also to have the tools to help your child do his or her best in school. This Common Core workbook book is designed to provide you with the guidance and resources to support classroom learning and help your child succeed. It includes:
• An annotated review of the standards highlighting what your child should master during third grade
• 20 important lessons that you can do – together with your child – to support them as they progress through the school year
• A Vocabulary section designed to make sure your child masters the most important academic word
• 200+ practice questions to improve your child’s skills
• Diagnostic quiz and 20+ mini-quizzes to check for understanding