Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
A solid foundation in the issues of health education and promotion, and a solid connection to the research, resources, and people involved
Principles and Foundations of Health Promotion and Education has what it takes to connect to research, resources, and practitioners in health education/promotion, while gaining a solid foundation in the history, philosophy, theory, and ethics of health education. Considered to be the best overall introduction to the growing profession of health education/promotion, it covers the roles and responsibilities of health education specialists, the settings where they are employed, and the ethics of the profession. In addition to presenting the history of health, health care, and health education/promotion, the book gives you a glimpse at what the future may hold for health education specialists. Extensively updated to include the most current thinking and practices in the field, this new Sixth Edition includes discussions of recent health reform developments, the responsibilities and competencies of health education specialists, non-traditional health jobs, what’s in store for the future of health education jobs, the use of the social media in health promotion, and much more.
- The best overall introduction to the growing profession of health education/promotion: Get a solid foundation in the background, history, philosophy, theory, and ethics of health promotion and education.
- A look at the profession from the people doing the job: Coverage of the roles and responsibilities of health educators, plus personal accounts of health education professionals tell the story.
- NEW! Extensive updates including the most current thinking and practices in the field.
- Outstanding pedagogical aids: Receive invaluable help for ensuring comprehension, including review questions, case studies, critical thinking questions, activities, and weblinks, in each chapter.
Package consists of:
0321927141 / 9780321927149 Principles and Foundations of Health Promotion and Education, 6/e
James T. Girvan is an emeritus professor and former dean in the College of Health Sciences at Boise State University.
James F. McKenzie is a Professor at Penn State — Hershey and a Professor Emeritus at Ball State University, and is a Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES). He is also Fellow of the American Association for Health Education and a Distinguished Fellow of the Society for Public Health Education.
Denise Seabert, PhD, has been preparing health teachers and providing in-service trainings for teachers and other school personnel for nearly 20 years. Currently she is chairperson/professor and the coordinator of the school health program in the Department of Physiology & Health Science at Ball State University in Muncie, IN. Dr. Seabert is a member of the CDC’s Training Tools for Healthy Schools: Promoting Health and Academic Success national training cadre and has served the profession as a member of NCHEC’s Division Board for Certified Health Education Specialists, past Associate Editor — Teaching Techniques for the Journal of School Health, and the American School Health Association Board of Directors. She received her BAEd in School Health Education from Western Washington University, MS in School and College Health from Indiana University, and PhD in Health Behavior with a minor in Curriculum from the University of Florida. She is a new contributor for this edition.
Table of Contents
1. A Background for the Profession
2. The History of Health and Health Education/Promotion
3. Philosophical Foundations
4. Theoretical Foundations
5. Ethics and Health Education/Promotion
6. The Health Education Specialist: Roles, Responsibilities, Certifications, Advanced Study
7. The Settings for Health Education/Promotion
8. Agencies/Associations/Organizations Associated with Health Education/Promotion
9. The Literature of Health Education/Promotion
10. Future Trends in Health Education/Promotion
Appendix A: Development of a Unified Code of Ethics for the Health Education Profession
Appendix B: Responsibilities and Competencies Hierarchical Model (CUP)