The most comprehensive text on program evalation, providing an overview of a wide variety of approaches to evaluation and extensive practical guidelines for how to carry out evaluation studies successfully. This text helps both students and professionals who are new to evaluation to understand how the field has evolved , what different approaches an evaluator can take in conducting evaluations, and how to plan and conduct an evaluation. The text makes extensive use of checklists, examples, and a comprehensive case study. Finally, throughout the book, students are introduced to current trends and controversial issues in evaluation and ways to conduct evaluations in an ethical and professional manner.
I. Introduction To Evaluation.
1. Evaluation's Basic Purpose, Uses, and Conceptual Distinctions.
2. Origins of Modern Program Evaluation.
3. Recent Developments and Trends in Evaluation.
II. Alternative Approaches To Program Evaluation.
4. Alternative Views of Evaluation.
5. Objectives-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
6. Management-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
7. Consumer-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
8. Expertise-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
9. Adversary-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
10. Participant-Oriented Evaluation Approaches.
11. Alternative Evaluation Approaches: A Summary and Comparative Analysis.
III. Practical Guidelines For Planning Evaluation.
12. Clarifying the Evaluation Request and Responsibilities.
13. Setting Boundaries and Analyzing the Evaluation Context.
14. Identifying and Selecting the Evaluative Questions and Criteria.
15. Planning How to Conduct the Evaluation.
IV. Practical Guidelines For Conducting And Using Evaluations.
16. Dealing with Political, Ethical, and Interpersonal Aspects of Evaluation.
17. Collecting, Analyzing, and Interpreting Quantitative Information.
18. Collecting, Analyzing, and Interpreting Qualitative Information.
19. Reporting and Using Evaluation Information.
20. Evaluating Evaluations.
V. Emerging And Future Settings For Program Evaluation.
21. Conducting Multiple-Site Evaluation Studies.
22. Conducting Evaluations of Organizations Renewal and Training in Corporate and Nonprofit Settings.
23. The Future of Evaluation.
Appendix: Some General Areas of Competence Important in Education Evaluation.