Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The Psychology of Human Sexuality offers a comprehensive overview of human sexual behavior from a biopsychosocial perspective. The text highlights psychological research and theory on human sexuality whilst also considering the biological, evolutionary, social, and cultural factors that influence our sex lives.
- Features comprehensive coverage of topics including gender and sexual orientation, relationships, sexual behaviors, sexual difficulties and solutions, prostitution, and pornography
- Offers more in-depth treatment of relationships than comparable texts, with separate chapters dealing with attraction and relationship processes
- Written from a sex-positive perspective, and is inclusive and respectful of a diverse audience
- Includes numerous activities to facilitate a dynamic and interactive classroom environment
Justin J. Lehmiller is a College Fellow in the Department of Psychology at Harvard University. He has published over 25 articles and book chapters in such publications as the Journal of Sex Research and the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, and he is frequently interviewed by news and media outlets.
Table of Contents
About the Author xi
Text Boxes xx
1 Theoretical Perspectives on Human Sexuality 1
2 Sexology Research: History, Methods, and Ethics 27
3 Human Sexual Anatomy 55
4 Human Sexual Response: Understanding Arousal and Orgasm 87
5 Gender and Gender Identity 115
6 Sexual Orientation 144
7 The Laws of Attraction 171
8 Intimate Relationships: Sex, Love, and Commitment 196
9 Sexual Behaviors 229
10 Sex Education, Contraception, and Pregnancy 255
11 Sexually Transmitted Infections and Safer-Sex Practices 279
12 Sexual Dysfunction and Sex Therapy 302
13 Variations in Sexual Behavior 328
14 Sex Laws, Sexual Victimization, and the Sexual Marketplace 351