Revolution in Nepal is a comprehensive study of the People's War in Nepal that was waged by the Maoist party. The chapters are based on extensive fieldwork conducted at the grass-roots level, covering the country's rural areas from Khotang to Jumla, before, during, and after the revolutionary movement. They focus on village life and its micro history under Maoist control.
The volume also examines the War's antecedents, such as the anti-Rana and anti-Panchayat movements, and the various ways in which the Maoist revolution developed in the country's rural areas. Thus, with an anthropological and historical approach, it presents an account of the impact of the People's War in the country. By doing so, it reflects the revolution brought about in the conception of Nepalese history, which is now commonly presented as a series of uprisings.
Marie Lecomte-Tilouine is Director de Recherche (Senior Researcher) in Social Anthropology at Le Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), France.
Table of Contents
List of Tables and Figures
List of Abbreviations
Introduction, bMarie Lecomte-Tilouine
PART I: EASTWARD
1. Political Violence in Nepal from 'Unification' To 'Janandolan I': The Background to 'People's War', John Whelpton
2. Ramraja Prasad Singh: The Warrior Revolutionary, C.K. Lal
3. Resisting the State in East Nepal: The 'Chintang Incident' of 1979 and the Politics of Commemoration, Martin Gaenszle, Ichchha Purna Rai, Judith Pettigrew, Manoj Rai, Balthasar Bickel, Goma Banjade, Toya Nath Bhatta, Elena Lieven, Netra Prasad Paudyal, and Sabine Stoll
4. The Maoists in Eastern Nepal: The Example of Khotang, Pustak Ghimire
PART II: WESTWARD
5. The CPN-Masal Bastion: A History of Communist Militancy in Pyuthan District and Its Influence on the People's War, Benoit Cailmail
6. Thabang: The Crucible of Revolution, Anne de Sales
7. Maoist Despite Themselves: Amid the People's War in a Maoist Model Village, Northern Gulmi, Marie Lecomte-Tilouine
8. The Political Context and the Influence of the People's War in Jumla, Satya Shrestha-Schipper
PART III: WITHIN THE PARTY
9. Inside the People's Liberation Army: A Military Perspective, Sam Cowan
10. 'Love-Marriage-Sex' in the People's Liberation Army of Nepal: The Libidinal Economy of a Greedy Institution, Laurent Gayer
11. Tears for the Revolution: Nepali Musical Nationalism, Emotion, and the Maoist Movement, Anna Stirr
Notes on Contributors