Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Johannes Zachhuber is Reader of Theology, Faculty of Theology and Religion, University of Oxford.
Julia Meszaros is a postdoctoral researcher, Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, Catholic University of Leuven.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Johannes Zachhuber and Julia Meszaros
1. Modern Discourse on Sacrifice and its Theological Background, Johannes Zachhuber
2. Sacrifice as self-destructive love : why autonomy should still matter to feminists, Pamela S. Anderson
3. Sacrifice, Atonement and Renewal: Intersections between Girard, Kristeva and von Balthasar, Paul S. Fiddes
4. Sacrifice and the self, Julia Meszaros
5. Sacrificial Cults as the Mysterious Centre of Every Religion : A Girardian Assessment of Aby Warburg s Theory of Religion, Wolfgang Palaver
6. From Slaughtered Lambs to Dedicated Lives: Sacrifice as Value-Bestowal, Jessica Frazier
7. Sacrifice as Refusal, Gavin Flood
8. Sacrifice in Recent Roman Catholic Thought: From Paradox to Polarity, and Back Againa
9. Using Hubert and Mauss to think about sacrifice, Nick Allen
10. The Aztec Sacrificial Complex, Laura Rival
11. Human Sacrifice and Two Imaginative Worlds, Aztec and Christian. Finding God in Evil, David Brown
12. Blood Sacrifice as a Symbol of the Paradigmatic Other: The debate about ebo-rituals in the Americas, Bettina E. Schmidt
13. Apocalypse and Sacrifice in Modern Film: American Exceptionalism and a Scandinavian Alternative, Jon Pahl
14. Human Sacrifice and the Literary Imagination, Derek Hughes