The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
All couples walk to the altar dreaming of happily ever after, but many forces in our society work against healthy lifelong commitment. Renowned family therapist William J. Doherty has helped many thousands of readers understand how cracks can develop in even a rock-solid marriage--and what steps they can take to keep their love strong. Vivid stories illustrate ways to break free of common traps like confusing desires with needs, seeing your spouse as a consumer product to be traded in for a new model, or becoming overtime parents instead of full-time partners. Empathic and motivating, Dr. Doherty shows how to create doable relationship rituals that stand the test of time. The updated second edition incorporates Dr. Doherty's ongoing experience counseling couples in conflict, plus the latest information on marriage and health, how divorce affects kids, the pitfalls of social media, and more.
William J. Doherty, PhD, is Professor and Director of the Minnesota Couples on the Brink Project at the University of Minnesota, and a practicing marriage and family therapist. Past president of the National Council on Family Relations, he received the Council's Margaret E. Arcus Award for Outstanding Contribution to Family Life Education. He is the author of numerous books for professionals and general readers. Married since 1971, he has two grown children and four grandchildren.
Table of Contents
1. Take Back Your Marriage
2. Resisting Consumer Marriage
3. Don\u2019t Lose Your Marriage to Your Kids
4. Take Back Time for Your Marriage
5. Resist Family and Friends Who Would Undermine Your Marriage
6. Resist Therapists Who Threaten Your Marriage
7. Preventing Unnecessary Divorce
8. Intentional Marriage: Connection Rituals in Everyday Life
9. Intentional Marriage: Love Rituals
10. Intentional Marriage: Anniversaries and Other Special Occasions
11. Every Marriage Supported by a Community
12. Taking Action for Your Marriage