Ubuntu Unleashed 2014 Edition is filled with unique and advanced information for everyone who wants to make the most of the Linux-based Ubuntu operating system. This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated by a long-time Ubuntu community leader to reflect the exciting new Ubuntu 13.10 and the forthcoming Ubuntu 14.04.
Former Ubuntu Forum administrator Matthew Helmke covers all you need to know about Ubuntu 13.10/14.04 installation, configuration, productivity, multimedia, development, system administration, server operations, networking, virtualization, security, DevOps, and more—including intermediate-to-advanced techniques you won’t find in any other book.
Helmke presents up-to-the-minute introductions to Ubuntu’s key productivity and Web development tools, programming languages, hardware support, and more. You’ll find new or improved coverage of Ubuntu’s Unity interface, various types of servers, software repositories, database options, virtualization and cloud services, development tools, monitoring, troubleshooting, Ubuntu’s push into mobile and other touch screen devices, and much more.
Matthew Helmke served from 2006 to 2011 on the Ubuntu Forum Council, providing leadership and oversight of the Ubuntu Forums, and spent two years on the Ubuntu regional membership approval board for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. He has written about Ubuntu for several magazines and websites and is the lead author of The Official Ubuntu Book. He works for Pearson Education writing technical documentation for educational
Detailed information on how to…
- Configure and customize the Unity desktop
- Get started with multimedia and productivity applications, including LibreOffice
- Manage Linux services, users, and software packages
- Administer and run Ubuntu from the command line
- Automate tasks and use shell scripting
- Provide secure remote access and configure a secure VPN
- Manage kernels and modules
- Administer file, print, email, proxy, LDAP, DNS, and HTTP servers (Apache, Nginx, or alternatives)
- Learn about new options for managing large numbers of servers
- Work with databases (both SQL and the newest NoSQL alternatives)
- Get started with virtualization
- Build a private cloud with Juju and Charms
- Learn the basics about popular programming languages including Python, PHP, Perl, and new
alternatives such as Go and Rust
- Learn about Ubuntu’s work toward usability on touch-screen and phone devices
Ubuntu 13.10 on DVD
DVD includes the full Ubuntu 13.10 distribution for Intel x86 computers as well as the complete LibreOffice office suite and hundreds of additional programs and utilities.
Free Kick Start Chapter!
Purchase this book and receive a free Ubuntu 14.04 Kick Start chapter after Ubuntu 14.04 is released. See inside back cover for details