Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
To the Student
How to Get the Most from This Program
Working with Evidence
Historical Thinking Skills: An AP® Primer
Prologue: From Cosmic History to Human History
PART ONE First Things First: Beginnings in History, to 600 b.c.e.
1. First Peoples; First Farmers: Most of History in a Single Chapter, to 4000 b.c.e.
2. First Civilizations: Cities, States, and Unequal Societies, 3500 b.c.e.–500 b.c.e.
PART TWO Second-Wave Civilizations in World History, 600 b.c.e.–600 c.e.
3. State and Empire in Eurasia/North Africa, 500 b.c.e.–500 c.e.
4. Culture and Religion in Eurasia/North Africa, 500 b.c.e.–500 c.e.
5. Society and Inequality in Eurasia/North Africa, 500 b.c.e.–500 c.e.
6. Commonalities and Variations: Africa, the Americas, and Pacific Oceania, 500 b.c.e.–1200 c.e.
PART THREE An Age of Accelerating Connections, 600–1450
7. Commerce and Culture, 500–1500
8. China and the World: East Asian Connections, 500–1300
9. The Worlds of Islam: Afro-Eurasian Connections, 600–1500
10. The Worlds of Christendom: Contraction, Expansion, and Division, 500–1300
11. Pastoral Peoples on the Global Stage: The Mongol Moment, 1200–1500
12. The Worlds of the Fifteenth Century
PART FOUR The Early Modern World, 1450–1750
13. Political Transformations: Empires and Encounters, 1450–1750
14. Economic Transformations: Commerce and Consequence, 1450–1750
15. Cultural Transformations: Religion and Science, 1450–1750
PART FIVE The European Moment in World History, 1750–1900
16. Atlantic Revolutions, Global Echoes, 1750–1914
17. Revolutions of Industrialization, 1750–1914
18. Colonial Encounters in Asia, Africa, and Oceania, 1750–1950
19. Empires in Collision: Europe, the Middle East, and East Asia, 1800–1914
PART SIX The Most Recent Century, 1900–2015
20. Collapse at the Center: World War, Depression, and the Rebalancing of Global Power, 1914–1970s
21. Revolution, Socialism, and Global Conflict: The Rise and Fall of World Communism, 1917–present
22. The End of Empire: The Global South on the Global Stage, 1914–present
23. Capitalism and Culture: The Acceleration of Globalization, since 1945