Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Kathy Ganske, PhD, is Professor of the Practice of Literacy and Director of Graduate Elementary Education at Vanderbilt University. She has been involved in using, refining, and teaching about word study practices for over 25 years. Her work is grounded in extensive teaching experience in elementary classrooms. Dr. Ganske's current research interests include discussion during small-group word study instruction and literacy teacher preparation. She is the author or coauthor of several books, including Word Sorts and More and Mindful of Words, as well as numerous articles and book chapters.
Table of Contents
1. Word Study: Reading, Writing, and Language Connections
II. Understanding Children's Word Knowledge
2. A Developmental Perspective
3. Assessing Word Knowledge: The Developmental Spelling Analysis
III. Fostering Children's Word Knowledge
4. Planning Appropriate and Engaging Instruction
5. Letter Name Word Study
6. Within Word Pattern Word Study
7. Syllable Juncture Word Study
8. Derivational Constancy Word Study
9. Questions and Answers
Appendix 1. Supplemental Word Lists
Appendix 2. Reproducible Forms